• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny Bunny, What to do?

shell74

New Kit
Our Lionhead Rabbit had 4 babies the end of December (we were told the were 2 females), needless to say they were not. Ours were the ones that Mommy would not feed, so we had to hold her down for the first 2 weeks. Thank you so much for the suggestions at that point, it helped alot.

3 of the babies have made it to approx 11 weeks old, the 4th baby passed at about 4 weeks. They are a bundle of fun! I have attached link to a photo of 2 of the babies. The little white bunny was born the biggest and was doing great till about 5 week of age. It stopped growing and had a series of eye infections and diareah. Our vet saw the baby and said we were doing everything we could with diet and medications but sometimes things just dont work out. They could do a full work up and whatnot, but I cant afford a $1000 vet bill at this point in time, when the vet tells me she honestly feels she will pass away anyway. The thing is that she keeps up with the others, eats, drinks and sniffs around, like nothing is wrong, I dont know what to do. Anyone see something similiar?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=391150190&albumID=1109865&imageID=20808254

Any suggestions would be great!

Shell74

Last edited:
I would think it's something to do with genetics rather than something fixable :(

There is a genetic problem, most common in Netherland Dwarf's, but can effect any dwarf breeds which creates babies called 'peanuts' these have double dwarf genes and are very small compared to their litter mates. Unfortunately they don't live long, usually they die within the first few days/weeks but can live a little longer.

It's unusual that it was born bigger but I would guess it's still the same or similar issue. Other signs are a rounded head (odd development here could explain the eye infections) and underdevelopment of the hips/back legs.

If it's genetics I don't think tests are going to tell you anything useful. As long as she's happy then I would treat the symptoms rather than delve into the why's. Use ointment for the eye infections, trimming the long fluff around the eyes and bathing regularly if they get gunky will help reduce the chances of an infection.

Probiotic may help the poop issue and feeding plenty of hay.

I think long term the prognosis isn't very good. If she is a peanut she's already beat the odds to get this far. I have heard of a few making it over a year though.

Thank you Tasmin. Our vet was not to hopefull at this point and suggested putting her down. She did give me the name of another vet about an hour away that deals more with rabbits so I could get another opinion. I told her as long as she is eating, pooping and happy I wouldnt consider putting her down. As you can see from the photo she can fit in my hand. My DIL to be wanted to take her, but I dont want anyone else to have to deal with her continueing problems. She is so cute, the kids just need to understand that the outcome will likely not be good.

Thanks again,
Shell

The toddlers as i call them are 11wks today. I also lost one at 4 wks. I then noticed that the smallest one was only 13oz when her brothers and sisters where at least 7oz bigger. She has caught up now and is only a couple of oz's smaller that the others. I think she started eating when i started putting a bottle with probiotic in it. Mum rejected this litter from 4wks these are so tame its unreal. I do hope you baby is going to be ok.

Back