• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malaclusion question

pepsiandcokey

Young Bun
My pepsi bunny is 18 months old now and when i bought her i had the vet (whom is rabbit savy) check her teeth as i had a rabbity when i was younger who had severe malaclusion. At the time she was 3 months old and he said she had great teeth and i always thought so too. She eats hay in abundance and is constantly knawing on her toys/bits of card/my wall!
2nite i had a look in her mouth and the bottom teeth seem to have grown to overlap the top ones (they do grow behind the top ones though).

what signs should i be looking for that she has malaclusion? I have heard that although the front ones can be trimmed, the back ones will carry on growing.

the thing is, and this is what ive found, just because they have bad incisors, this does not mean that thier molars are bad.

I have a dental bun, Bailey who ive had for a year, he is approx 2ish.

When we first got him, he had to have his incisors burred 3 times in 4 months, then nothing since then, and then hes had to have them done twice in just ove a month...

my vet checked his molars whilst he was there on monday with my oh, and he told my oh that although his back ones are not meeting properly, they haven't caused spurs and are therefore not problematic.

Should Pepsi's back ones need burring, this can be done under GA, and some vets will do it without dependent on bunny.

if you've had her since 3 months, and shes 18months now, have you not taken her to the vets? if not, then its worthwhile popping her for her bunny mot as my vet calls it (and also her myxi and vhd vaccine)

xxx

yer she's been to the vet regularly . when she was spayed, vaccinations and then twice for injuries off her boyf bunny. they think i'm mad cos i worry over nothing but id be devastated if she did have malaclusion - i'll get her booked in i think.

how long is it since shes seen the vet?

when you say they overlap, what do you mean, im not sure what you mean thats all?

Baileys teeth grown, his left seem to grind down, his top right incisor seems to grow like a tusk, if we left it that is.

he had his teeth done yest and now has very wee incisors bless my gummy boy x

the last jabs were in october and he had a look then. just got off phone to my friend chloe who runs
a bunny rescue who seems to think because her diet is so good (hay 24/7) there shouldnt be a serious problem. i'm taking pip to the vets this week just to be sure.
when i first started looking for bunnies i went to see one who, at 12 wks old, had front teeth that curled up like a french moustache!!!!

is that fat fluffs chloe?

It's hard to saw without seeing pictures but most buns front teeth overlap the bottom very slightly & if the vet saw her at three months & said her teeth were OK then they probably are. However, if in doubt I'd always recomend a vet check anyway as it much better to be safe than sorry.

is that fat fluffs chloe?

It's hard to saw without seeing pictures but most buns front teeth overlap the bottom very slightly & if the vet saw her at three months & said her teeth were OK then they probably are. However, if in doubt I'd always recomend a vet check anyway as it much better to be safe than sorry.

yeah thats the one!

im taking pepsi to the vet on friday. I'm taking the other one, captain ( was napolean) too although his teeth are fine he has to be kept inform of everything that goes on. I am a lodger in HIS house after all!!!!!!!!

Back