• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im concerned

rabbit mad

Warren Scout
Hello,

This is my first post other then my introduction post...

I have two rabbits a lovely cuddly female who i resuced last april along with a male lion head ( who sadly passed away suddenly over xmas) My h2b got me a lop bunny (male) to help get over my lion head... I was not worried that it was a male as my female I had been told had been spayed so not to worry..

Went out to her cage last Wednesday night and noticed her looking pregnant.. didnt panik just asked partner his oppinion... he also thought that she looked pregnant... Quickly seperated the two and got her a nice nesting box ready, and kept cheeking on her two or three times a day ( i was also worried that my prescence could upset her, so tried to stay away as much as i could) come friday last week she was still not getting any slimmer and no babys... so took her to the vets who told me that she was 95% positive that she was not pregnant but did have a little fluid in her belly, but she wasnt overally concerend...

However, i am still not sure what to do... I have checked the interenet and she has all the signs of a pregnant bunng... I am worried about putting her back with my male incase she is and i end up causing her stress... however, they both bonded really well and it is stressing them that they are not together.

Should i put them back together, or wait a little while longer???

Any advice would be great
Thanks

I would keep then apart a little longer while you make sure she is not pregnant. If she is then you dont want the male in with her as they will amte again as soon as she has given birth giving you a second litter.

While they are separate I would get the male neutered so that when they do go back together eventually there is no risk of babies (males need to be away from unspayed females for 6 weeks after the op)

Hello

They have been seperated for 2 weeks now.

I still have not got any babies, but she still is looking "large"
I am now wondering if it could be a phantom pregnancy.

I agree with the others - get the boy neutered while they're separated, then you can be sure there is no possibility of a future pregnancy.

If the vet is reasonably certain she's not pregnant, and you're uncertain as to whether she is spayed, perhaps the vet can advise how you could make certain that she is? Or contact where you got her from asking for vet records/details so you can be certain & put your mind at rest.:)

It sounds very stressful, but you've done right by separating them & getting a vet's advice. I do hope it all turns out to be a false alarm.
Good luck!

I would keep them seperated and get your male castrated.

A rabbit pregnancy is around 32days so she could be preggers but maybe not considering your vet was 95% positive. On the other hand if your vet isnt experienced then she wont know how to check for babies so your doe could be pregnant and could be due anytime.

Is there anything else different about her e.g eating more/less/not at all, pulling fur, gathering hay, drinking more/less?

Rabbits don't tend to 'look pregnant' like some other species of animals do, so a rabbit with a bloated abdomen is usually either too fat or has some sort of illness.

goodluck hope somethings sorted soon. but i agree get the male done asap, you dont want to end up like me with 3 babies and more on the way arrrgghhhh lol

Back