• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looks like Strawberry might be a dental bun

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Just taken Strawbs for his myxi vaccine and asked the vet to check his back teeth as he has been off his hay for a few days but is still eating everything else. She said one side is fine but there are some small spurs coming on the other side and so he might need a dental in the near future.

I dont know how I will ever be able to put him under a GA after losing Graham but there is no way he would sit still for a conscious dental.

Is there anything I can do to help minimise the chances of him needing a dental? Im going to try getting some different types of hay to tempt him- he used to eat loads of it- but is there anything else I can give him that will help?

No idea hun :( We've never had a dental bun for more than a week.

Im sure its mainly hay they need... or maybe try and get him to eat some grass??? They chew grass in the same way they do hay :)

Sending nose rubs for Straw... hes been in the wars lately bless him :( xXx

He has always eaten loads of hay, its only the past few days he hasnt been touching it! Gonna get some timothy hay and see if he will eat that instead. He is eating hard pellets and some natural treats and will eat carrots and dandilions, just not hay at the minute!

Bless him :love: You ought to try him on readigrass :D My lot go crazy for that stuff! They have also taken to the Burns Mountain Hay from Simplyk9, get through nearly a bag of that every 2 days :shock:

Lets hope he starts eating his hay again soon xXx

I do hope Strawberry isn't going to be a dental bun.

I've just had a delivery of a couple of different sorts of Oxbow hay (Timothy & Orchard grass) so I could spare some if you wanted to give those a try before you go buying any.

I'll be in your area on Thursday evening (if I am remembering where you live correctly :?) so could bring some with me then. Let me know. :)

If he's gone off his hay he might need a dental now. Archie is a dental bun and last time he went off his food, the vet could only see a small spur but when he went in for the dental a week later they actually discovered that it was a large spur growing towards/ under his toungue and he was still able to eat pellets, grated veg but not hay!
Getting him to eat as much hay and grass as you can is a good start, if you cut down the amount of pellets he gets then he'll eat more hay.

I have got him some Excell herbage and he is quite happily eating that. He has been spoilt recently with losing Graham so I may be guilty of a little over feeding which wont encourage him to eat his hay. We also had a bad batch last week that smelt disgusting and he wouldnt touch it so wonder if that might have put him off?

I do hope Strawberry isn't going to be a dental bun.

I've just had a delivery of a couple of different sorts of Oxbow hay (Timothy & Orchard grass) so I could spare some if you wanted to give those a try before you go buying any.

I'll be in your area on Thursday evening (if I am remembering where you live correctly :?) so could bring some with me then. Let me know. :)

Thanks for the offer Tracy- I have parents evening on Thursday (my worst nightmare) so wont be at home. I have got him eating some excell herbage and if he goes off that then I will call by your way and get him a little sample if thats ok.

Thanks for the offer Tracy- I have parents evening on Thursday (my worst nightmare) so wont be at home. I have got him eating some excell herbage and if he goes off that then I will call by your way and get him a little sample if thats ok.

Yes, that's fine. Just let me know. :)

Glad to hear that he's eating the herbage. :D

What are the signs that Herbie needs a dental so I know what to look our for? He is being especially naughty today- proper showed me up in the vets!

:wave: Just seen this i really hope the little lad is ok.

I think some signs are if hes wet round the mouth often and under his chin, could mean hes dribbling which would indicate a tooth problem.

Someone will be here soon with more info.

Lots of vibes for your little one.
x

Well I can only say what the signs are for archie :) But if he seems to be struggling to eat, leaving food, picking food up and dropping it and teeth grinding then he may need a dental but you'll know yourself if he's not acting normally. Thats good that he's started to eat herbage hay though :D

What are the signs that Herbie needs a dental so I know what to look our for? He is being especially naughty today- proper showed me up in the vets!
When Totti has had spurs, it's his behaviour that's been the giveaway - going and sitting quietly in a corner rather than racing around. As well as picking at his food rather than troughing it.

Thanks. He is still running round as normal and is eating his pellets and everything else other than his hay. Vet could just see some small spurs forming on one side but hoped we would be able to control them by encouraging more hay eating- although he used to eat loads of it! If he doesnt increase the amount of hay he eats by the end of the week I will take him back to be rechecked. Im just dreading a GA, didnt get any sleep last night and think I will just keep worrying untill we know for sure whether he will need one.

oh no poor Strawberry :(

I have 2 dental buns, Fudge and Skye and they have both shown diff signs that they need a dental.

Skye started dribbling and Fudge stopped eating and sits hunched in the corner of the cage (has only happened once and she had a cut on her tounge) she is needing one soon as she is making a weird grind (thats how i tell) but other symptoms are not eating hay, dropping food from mouth, finding it hard to eat are the ones i know!

Fudges last dental was 17th Dec and this has been the longest time before a dental! I upped her veg intake (leafy greens) and she started eating alot of hay and hasnt needed a dental as soon :D

Good Luck :wave:

Last edited:
Back