• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bunnies life is like glass.......

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Sorry for another thread about Blackie (its not really)
But i would like to take a moment to make everyones aware that a bunnies life is so precious, they can become ill so suddenly and then they could be gone before you even realise.

I never thought i would loose a bunny so soon and so suddenly but i have and i now regret not having lots of memories with him. I would come on RU everyday and read about all the sick bunnies and bunnies that had gone to the bridge and think gosh that wont happen to me anytime soon, well it took me by surprise and now i lost one of my best friends.
I will spend everyday from now on having a great time with my bunnies and make sure i make the most of their lives!

They are not like us and will not live forever so make sure you enjoy them and their company while they are with you, take care of them like they are glass, so fragile and break easily.
The smallest things matter, cleaning their cage/hutch, grooming, their diet especially (lots and lots of hay!!!). No matter how small something is like a molar spurs or a hairball or even a castration its all a big risk so keep them in tiptop condition and be prepared for the worst.

Find a good rabbit savvy vet and if your bunny is acting different in anyway or has stopped eating get them to a vet ASAP. The sooner the better and do not hesitate to call the emergency line!
I got told by one of my collegues that i have the worst luck with my bunnies since they have had a lot done and her bunny hasnt had anything wrong, What i said to her was "I know what to look for and if i suspect anything i go to the vet" (once i went to the vet because i thought my bunny had a cut on his bum - it was his scent gland :oops:)
Read up on bunnies and expand your knowledge of them, know what to look out for and you will be helping your bunny!

Dont be afraid to ask for help or advice and listen to advice given.

Get your bunny a friend so they will never be lonely and have someone to cuddle! Dont breed bunnies, RESCUE! If you cant afford the vet fees or complain about the amount of money you spend on them, you shouldnt have them, money is not an issue! If they need help you pay for them to get better dont wait for them to get worse and die!

Treat your bunny like you would a baby, thats how i see mine, my babies, my family, my friends so small and fragile and helpless!

Please give your bunny/s the best life possible and always be prepared for the worst. A bunnies life is not a joke, take them seriously.

A BUNNY IS FOREVER......

I totally agree.

I spent a lot of time with E and E last night and they both flopped after grooming each other. I haven't seen that for a very long time.
I too, thought, I need to make more time for them. If that means sitting in a shed for hours instead of 30 mins a few times a day, that's what I'll do.
Don't get me wrong, I do spend time with them, but not just before bedtime to witness a wonderful sight.
And after nearly losing Eric just after christmas you do realise how precious and fragile they are.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss of Blackie.

I totally agree.
If we decide to have pet Rabbits they are our responsibility for their entire life.
We are privileged to be able to share time with such a magical, enchanting animal. We dont have a right to keep them and we should remember that.

Blackie was a lucky Bunny, he knew only love,dedication and care. That should be the right of EVERY Rabbit. But as things are at the moment Rabbits are all too often obtained on a whim and then considered to be a chore to care for or cast aside when the novelty wears off.

If I had just one wish before I die it would be that Rabbits were always afforded the care and commitment they deserve.

xx

Very true. I lost my first bunny after only 48hrs with him and I regretted every minute I'd not spent with him while he was here :cry:

I spend about ten hours a day with my Daisy and try and make sure she's happy and entertained and given as much attention and love as she wants.

I wish all bunnies were given as much love as those of us on RU try to give to ours.

So sorry about Blackie.

I knew I shouldn't have read this at work you keep making me cry :cry: I'm in the same position you were before Blackie. Im terrified of something happening to my buns but more terrified I dont have the experience or know how to treat them when they need my help! I hang on every word that Jane and a few of the other 'wise ol' thumpers' say. Ive started copying and pasting the information in threads into my own bunny medical journal just in case! I was thinking we should construct a list of really good rabbit vets and try and list at least one per county for those situations beyond most vets experiences! Id also been pondering whether or not to insure my buns or save, Im just going to get the insurance now. Blackies story has really upset me I really am so sorry he didnt make it.

I know how you feel, I only knew Stitch for 2 months, he was the best bunny ever and I still miss him and wish I had had more time with him :cry:

Sorry for your loss :cry:

I just hate the thought of so many bunnies being neglected and dying never knowing love and comfort!
Blackie was one of the many lucky bunnies that got to share love and have a good life and pass away knowing love.

I wish there was some way to spread the word about bunnies and one day every bunny will be loved!
I give so much praise to the rescues and others out there cleaning up the mess of others and on a day to day basis dealing with the deaths of so many bunnies.
I dont know how you cope, you are all so amazing.

what a lovely thing to write.I so feel your pain.I thought I was going to lose B the other week and am so glad ive been given yet another chance with her.She is my girl,my one true friend.

I feel bad for not spending enough time with Graham before he went to the bridge and now Straws. I leave the house at 7.30am and dont get home till 5.30pm. Strawberry then spends all evening with me but i wish I could spend more time with him during the day!

Another rabbit owner and former RUer once told me that rabbits are virtually walking ghosts, often precariously treading a thin line between life and death. Whilst it never ceases to astonish me how such a small creature can put up such a huge fight it equally always shocks me at how suddenly they seem to make the transition across that line.

I've learnt the hard way never take a single day with any of my buns for granted. :(

Back