• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vac/spot on + GA?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
yesterday Jazzy had his VHD vaccine and also had some more spot on treatment. he is due to go in for hi GA dental tomorrow.. will this affect him as in less chance of hin coming round? I must sound so pathetic for asking all these questions :(

yesterday Jazzy had his VHD vaccine and also had some more spot on treatment. he is due to go in for hi GA dental tomorrow.. will this affect him as in less chance of hin coming round? I must sound so pathetic for asking all these questions :(

which spot on treatment was it? i personally wouldnt do al lso close to gether adn would postpone his ga, as ithink it would sertaintly lower his immune system postpone for 2 weeks i would think x

He's a lucky bun mine sit all hunched up not eating much! Logically you would think that if he is behaving completely normally and seems his usual self it should be OK BUT if it was my bunny I would give it a week or two before vaccinations and operations etc I have no experience or medical info for this just that my gut instinct tells me they are so little and I'd be worried about doing to much to them all at once?! That probably hasn't helped your situation tho?!

I'll check with the vets again when itake him up tomorrow. its just so confusing because i would of thought the vets would of refused it this week if they thought it wasnt a good idea.

I think I'd want to wait at least 7 days after vaccination before Bun having a GA.
Surprised the Vet didn't mention that :?

Yes that's what I would have thought, they make sure Myxi jabs and VHD jabs are at least 2 weeks apart. I'm not so trusting of vets at the moment so I would go with how I feel about it! Of course if he needs his teeth done waiting could be worse for him!?

Yep he needs his teeth done soonish, thats why im so confused.. I dont want him to stop eating because of his teeth.. :( ahh confused.

Did he have cylap or lapinject VHD vaccine? From memory, lapinject gives immunity in 6 days, clyap takes 21...I would worry that if he goes in for an op before the period of developing immunity is up, that the vaccine won't work because his body will be concentrating on the GA and any post-op infection. Tricky one really, as you can't postpone too long if he needs a dental...hopefully he had lapinject which means he should be 'ok' for the op by monday.

Get his teeth done...the chances of contracting VHD are minimal compared with the potential complications caused by dental issues

I've phoned the vets he's booked in for 9.10 so the vet can check him over and they will then decide if they can go ahead with the dental or not, but it needs doing. :(

It's not ideal to have a ga so close to a vaccine but if he needs his teeth doing I wouldn't postpone the dental.

Will he die? its such a tough desision... I can't really delay it as he might stop eating and go into statis :( im not sure which is worse :cry: I'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Back