• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vaccinations and fly strike

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
does it matter if vaccination boosters are done before they are actually due? like say you did myxi twice a year and the last one was on a certain date, would you do the next one 6 months later on the same date, or just around that time. would it be better before so there is an overlap?

i'm really weird and choose the same date everytime! :oops: bit weird me thinks!

mine are booked in march 12th, is this a good time to have them done, being the start of spring/summer. then they'll have the vhd 3 weeks after. i don't know why i do it 3 weeks after...! might do it for 2 weeks after like a normal person! :lol: then in september they'll have myxi again.

also, i wanted to know about rear guard and fly guard? i haven't used them before so which one would you say is better and when should i use it for the first time and how often and for how long? :)

I tend to try to do mine about the same time. They both had their myxi last night which was a couple of weeks late due to me being ill. VHD will be in about 2-3 weeks.

Rear guard will stop any eggs developing, it won't deter flies. Rearguard lasts about 6-8 weeks I think and you can only get it from your vet (just reminded me to get some). Even with this you need to do daily bum checks. I have mosquito net over their run too to stop flies getting in - however they are free range most of the time so not sure what benefit that is to them :roll: makes me feel better though if I lock them in the run.

does it matter of it's a few days/a week before it's due though? it wouldn't do them any harm would it? god, i'm so paranoid...! :oops:

You can get vaccinations done early if you need to. I'm getting my girls done after 4 months to bring them inline with the boys.

My two had their vacinations slightly early (about a fortnight) this time round too, as I'm pregnant and my due date happens to fall at exactly the time when the buns were due to get their jabs done and I didn't want them to miss a booster.

Back