• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Money saving bunnies???

Do you save or splash the cash on your bunnies?

• Save my pennies, it's not as if the bunnies care.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I love to spend money buying things for the bunnies.

Votes: 36 75.0%

• Total voters

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
Just wondering if you are a money saving kind of person with your bunny, or if you like to splash out, on treats, food and toys etc?

I'm definitely money saving!

I don't buy Deej treats as to him any fruit of veg is a treat (whether it's tea time or not) as he's such a food motivated bunny!

I've bought him toys and treats in the past and 90% get ignored. His favourite thing is his "fort" I made him out of a huge cardboard box.

I feed him the skins from my kiwi fruit, the ends and peelings from my carrots etc. I do buy lots of fresh veg for him, but if I'm eating veg so long as the trimmings are fresh I don't see any reason he shouldn't eat them rather than put them in the bin. I don't often buy him fruit specifically, he just gets a bit of whatever I have as a treat.

I used to cut out the green stalk from the centre of the greens till I noticed he was more than happy to eat them, when he got hold of one, so now they don't go to waste either.

I have to admit that Julie (bunny) and Raul (parakeet) are spoiled rotten. I give neither one anything that I would not eat myself. I give the scrape stuff that I would not eat but is still edible to the wild bunnies and birdies in my yard. My pet kids get more gifts than me or my husband get. They are our only children and are treated as such. I even make home made treats for them. Am I weird? I really love them and both are spoiled in every way.

I spoil my boy rotten....i buy him dust free hay and loads of naturals treats and toys. I also buy him loads of fresh veg & herbs.
I wouldnt want to count how much he gets spent on him in a month, but he is deffo worth it :)

I spend loads on my bunnies! Even if they dont play with the toys i stll buy them :lol:
I dont buy many treats but spend a small fortune on hay :roll:

I spend loads on my lot, i just placed an order with simply k9 for over £50 :oops: Saying that though my lot do get a lot of use out of everything, Lolly in particular is easily bored and starts digging the carpet if she doesn't have enough toys to play with :roll:

I don't spend much on each rabbit, but the cost soon mounts up when you've got a few...even the basics can run into hundreds if you've got enough rabbits!

They get dust free hay and Timmy hay, but I tend not to buy them lots of treats. Salt and Pepper pretty much enjoy a big box of hay and tunnels - they're not really into chewing.
Pippin loves to chew however, so he does have willow balls, and he's in the process of chewing up is chube at the moment.
As a treat they get a grape occasionally, or a bit of apple. Their very favourite thing is a dandelion leaves, so I pick them for them!

I treat them to vet appointments....and with my lot that costs a fortune, so apart from making sure they eat well I don't tend to splash out on new toys, beds, blankets or accesories unless they actually need them.

A food orientated treat for them is a small piece of apple, pear or melon...and that's once in a blue moon.

I can't vote cos I do a bit of both!:oops::roll:

Most of the time they don't get a lot spent on toys - toilet roll inners & egg boxes are a big hit with them both, the local farm hay is popular too, and toys get ignored or attacked!:roll:
Most of their veggies are shared with us (carrot peel, celery tops, cucumber, greens) or come from the garden (sprouts & cabbage, herbs) so that's fairly cheap too.

But occasionally I do splurge on them :roll::shock: but I think generally I'm more excited by the new toys & treats than they are!:roll::lol:

I'm a bit of both to. I buy timmy hay from West Wales Willows and treat hay.

I save on toys as they love toilet roll inners and I save on veg and herbs as I try to grow my own. If a box or something would make a new toy for them why not. I do like going round cheap shops and finding things which would make good toys.

I tend to treat them on birthdays, Easter and Christmas.

I treat them to vet appointments....and with my lot that costs a fortune, so apart from making sure they eat well I don't tend to splash out on new toys, beds, blankets or accesories unless they actually need them.

Same with me - I tend to spend a lot on big purchases such as vets, hutches, runs, playhouse etc etc, but not a lot on the day to day. They love their £4.50 a bale farm hay and like nothing better than a cardboard box or two to destroy!

I spend a small fortune on my two..
I dont often buy them treats as it upsets my eldests belly and dont want to cause her pain or uncomfort..

So instead they get toys and nice hay and lots of quality time with me..

I am however in the middle of investing in a three storey cage, and making up my own run, as I can not find one that I think is large enough for them to play in.... (people think it is cheeper making a run.... trust me it isnt lol)

:shock:

I get them quality food but I make their own toys etc and pick dandelions etc for greens but do buy them little treats now and then,

when big parcels arrive from pampered piggies or hayexperts o/h will say "What have you bought them THIS TIME?"(with a huge sigh!)

....needles to say I spoil the bunnies and piggies rotten.:oops: they're my babies:D

I spend spend spend :oops::oops:

Today ive ordered their Timothy Hay from West Wales Willows, which they love!! Ive also placed an order from Simplyk9 today for £25odd :? :oops: I dont buy one without the other, so last week i ordered 5 bite and rolls from Simon, so the 3 outdoor pairs could have 1 between them, and the 2 indoor buns had 1 each :) I dont buy treats as such... i buy the fengreek crunchies and vegtable edges, from the naturals range, but thats the only treats i buy.

They all have loads of toys :? When the foster buns go, i send the toys with them and buy all new for the new buns :)

I also have normal weekly bills, such as food, veggies, normal hay, straw, and any vets bills that arise *touches wood* hope i havent spoke too soon! :lol:

Hmm hope the OH doesnt see this :lol: xXx

I do spend a lot on the bunny's. Not very often they have a food stick. They get wooden knawing toys, willow ball, willow sticks. I takes them about 3 days before i take the willow ball out for safety sake. I do buy woodshavings but i can have an unlimted supply of it from a friend for nothing(i cat sit for him). The Toddlers have probiotic in there water. The Guinnea pigs eat at least 1-2 cucumbers a week. I go through at least 4kgs of dry cat food a week and there's the kitten food and kitten milk. The only treat the cats will eat is sliced ham from the delhi and the hamsters get a treat bar once a week. I do spend lots on the animals but i wouldnt have it any other way.

Back