• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long do (or perhaps should) abcess cavities normally stay open post-op.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering as since using the Intrasite gel Mack's has really started to close quickly, but there is still a pocket at the end of the narrow opening that isn't fully healed. When I pump fluid in with the catheter attachment on the syringe, the pocket 'inflates' but I can no longer get a cotton bud down the entry canal to clean it. I'm also struggling to keep the entry wound itself open.

It's been about 3 weeks since his operation now, should I be expecting it to close soon or should I be fighting to keep it open? :?

Last edited:
I can't really help w/ abscess. However, when my bridge bun Goofball has her leg removed, it took much longer than 3 weeks to heal. The reason is the surgeon screwed up, the bone is stretching the wound, as such, it's obstructing the healing. In the end, everything works out. So, we had that wound for easily 1.5 to 2 mth. if I remember correctly, and it's an open wound as she tore it open due to the stretching of the wound several times. In other words, don't get discourage if you have an open wound for 3 weeks, I know it's not the same type wound, but the same principle applies.

a good link on abscess

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510&page=3

Back