• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone speak rabbit?

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I adore the 3 fluffs I got from Starlights - they are the cutest ever and we love having them in the house.
BUT
I just can't get them litter trained. I have reduced the space they are in. Now only about 3x5 feet.Every morning I carefully pick up all the poos on the carpet outside their 3x2 foot litter 'cage' and they sit and watch me politely but they are definetly not getting the point - even though they look interested:roll: They are also peeing on the carpet in little blobs which I remove with pet stain remover. When I came back from work today there were 96 poos waiting for me to pick them up.
AAArgh.......................
I wish buns could speak English or I could speak bun! I realise they have only been castrated about 6 weeks. I realise all buns will do the odd poo here and there but 96 in a 2x3 area:censored::censored:
So want do I do - I am reluctant to confine them to the 3x2 foot cage which is where I want them to poo but is it a matter of being cruel to be kind??
Any rabbit whispers out there?

hmm..i would say perseverance is the way forward! Also the little patches of wee, make sure they no longer smell like wee, or they will be encouraged to go there again, (i would use a solution of water/white vinegar for this)
good luck!

Do you use litter trays? Something like the big black seed trays they sell in Wilkinsons or similar plastic trays filled with something like paper, shredded paper, or bunny litter and a layer of hay on top? (Most Buns like to eat as they poop)

If you put some of these where your bunnies think they want to go, they will get the idea that they should go in the tray (eventually!) You can gradualy move the trays to where you would like them to loo!

Bunnies use poops as territory markers too. If you clean up every last one, they feel obliged to carefully position some more to mark the edge of their patch! Some will also wee in corners of their territory for the same purpose. For this reason, you need to put a tray there.

Don't expect your bunnies to agree with your decision of where they should eat/sleep/poop/chew up/etc etc.... they never do!!!
But you can gradually persuade them to come round to your plans.

You won't do any harm by confining them to the cage for a week or so, then increase the area slowly..I'm sure they'll get the hang of it :)

I agree a large litter tray or two with hay in will help :)

Do you use litter trays? Something like the big black seed trays they sell in Wilkinsons or similar plastic trays filled with something like paper, shredded paper, or bunny litter and a layer of hay on top? (Most Buns like to eat as they poop)

If you put some of these where your bunnies think they want to go, they will get the idea that they should go in the tray (eventually!) You can gradualy move the trays to where you would like them to loo!

Bunnies use poops as territory markers too. If you clean up every last one, they feel obliged to carefully position some more to mark the edge of their patch! Some will also wee in corners of their territory for the same purpose. For this reason, you need to put a tray there.

Don't expect your bunnies to agree with your decision of where they should eat/sleep/poop/chew up/etc etc.... they never do!!!

But you can gradually persuade them to come round to your plans.

At the moment their area is 50% letter tray and 50% carpet. The poos are spaced everywhere so I am guessing they are all marker poos but how do I stop it?

Hopefully a little time and patience will do it. It sounds as if each of the 3 are trying to re-mark the other's previous attempts to claim a patch! Leave just a few marker poops (or they will just replace them), and put some of the rest into the trays.

They should get the idea... I hope!
I take it all 3 are neutered and bonded??

Hopefully a little time and patience will do it. It sounds as if each of the 3 are trying to re-mark the other's previous attempts to claim a patch! Leave just a few marker poops (or they will just replace them), and put some of the rest into the trays.

They should get the idea... I hope!
I take it all 3 are neutered and bonded??

Yep, I'll try that - didn't think of that! Yes, thay are neutered and they're brothers so they've always been together. They do some mounting of each other and some chasing so they probably haven't entirely sorted out their chain of command.

Back