• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I Need Help!!

rorschach

New Kit
hey my name is josh, and i just got a new 1 year old male rex bunny from a small animal rescue, and the first day he was here he was very brave and came out right away and came up to me and had no problem with me, the 2nd day was the same, on the 3rd day he didn't eat or poop, its been 3 days now and i have been using a syringe giving him pineapple juice, I can't afford to take him to the vet, and also the vet here isn't very good with small animals. I'm pretty sure hes blocked up because he has been eatting the bedding i put in his shavings to soak up the pee and stuff, I used it before and my old rabbit never ate it, but he has, and ever since, this is whats happened, I don't know what else to do, and i'm worried, is there any tips on what to do next?

I think you need to take him to the vets - it sounds like he has bloat - where do you live - maybe someone will know a good rabbit vet?
Or can you phone the rescue and ask them about a good vet?

i live in gander, newfoundland, and i called them, they have one out there thats good with them, but its a 5 hour drive and i have no car.

You rabbit really does need a vet. Can you not take it to your local vets and ask to pay in installments if you can't afford to pay.

I'm sorry to sound very harsh/upsetting, but your bunny will very likely die without a vet's treatment. :(

There's really no option but to take him to a vet or hand him over urgently to someone who will. Not eating/pooping in rabbits is ALWAYS serious i'm afraid and veterinary care isn't a luxury it's essential. I hate to sound harsh but you really shouldn't have a pet if you can't provide for it :?
You should contact the rescue- they may be able to help

hey my name is josh, and i just got a new 1 year old male rex bunny from a small animal rescue, and the first day he was here he was very brave and came out right away and came up to me and had no problem with me, the 2nd day was the same, on the 3rd day he didn't eat or poop, its been 3 days now and i have been using a syringe giving him pineapple juice, I can't afford to take him to the vet, and also the vet here isn't very good with small animals. I'm pretty sure hes blocked up because he has been eatting the bedding i put in his shavings to soak up the pee and stuff, I used it before and my old rabbit never ate it, but he has, and ever since, this is whats happened, I don't know what else to do, and i'm worried, is there any tips on what to do next?

Hey man:wave: I'm in the same predicament i can't pay for vet bills and i don't have a good vet for small animals( i'm pretty sure about the vet not positive) For this one you should maybe give him to a rescue and replace him for anther rabbit(sorry to say that I hated it when the other guys said it to me, real sorry its all the advice i can think of:?) Hope every thing turns out.

Hi Josh,

I have to agree with lilbun - veterinary care is a necessity and should have been taken into account before you brought bun home.

Rabbits are not low maintenance, leave in the back yard, easy "starter" pets. They are delicate and require a lot of care.

And SarahP is right - bun will die without treatment, and it will be very painful for him.

You MUST either give him back to the rescue so they can get treatment for him or take him to a vet NOW.

Hey man:wave: I'm in the same predicament i can't pay for vet bills and i don't have a good vet for small animals( i'm pretty sure about the vet not positive) For this one you should maybe give him to a rescue and replace him for anther rabbit(sorry to say that I hated it when the other guys said it to me, real sorry its all the advice i can think of:?) Hope every thing turns out.

I hope that I have misunderstood you about swapping this bun for another one??

I would advise returning your bun to the rescue but do not get another one until you can afford it.

Hope the bunny is okay, time is running out for him if he has been completely blocked for 3 days.

I hope that I have misunderstood you about swapping this bun for another one??

I would advise returning your bun to the rescue but do not get another one until you can afford it.

Hope the bunny is okay, time is running out for him if he has been completely blocked for 3 days.

This rabbit is besst back at the rescue where it can get vetinary treatment else it will die. GI stasis is very severe and buns go downhill very quickly. They need pain killers, gut mobility drugs, proper liquid feed, possible fluids, blood tests, x rays and operations, after all this may may still not pull through if left too late. This runs into £100's for all this treatment!

Rabbits are not cheap and I suggest you wait until you can afford one before taking on the responsibilty. Sorry to be blunt, just want the bun to survive :?

Back