• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

lauraocal

Warren Scout
Hi guys

I have been thinking about this for some time now and was wanting to get into fostering rescue buns until they are rehomed.

I have researched this and know of the time and effort required and really want to help out.

I work from home and have plenty of spare time too so they would be very well cared for.

I know I would be better off contacting a rescue in my area but I was hoping to get some current foster "mums" advice or tips on doing this and how they feel about it.
I'm basically after your experiences with fostering.

My experience of fostering didnt go well as my local charity gave me a bun to foster but they never tried to rehome it so it has stayed here ever since. (Elliott) Make sure you foster for a good rescue and not one who will just dump rabbits on you and then don't bother about finding it a home. Also pick a rescue who will pay for vet bills and neuter, vaccinate etc...

I couldnt find anyone to foster for so have now started my own rescue. Good luck!!

I think you have to approach it in a slightly more detached manner from caring for your own pets. There have been several bunnies I have fostered who I would have loved to have given a permenant home to but I make sure that from day one I never consider them mine to keep and that I always remember they will be leaving me at some stage in the future.

I find this harder with poorly bunnies or very neglected ones, those that have needed a lot of my time or who have kept me awake at night with worry, as I find I form a very strong (and mutual) bond with bunsters like this.

I would start small and relatively simply...take on either one or a pair and don't opt for a sick or mistreated bunny initially, allow yourself to build up some fostering experience first. Often the rescue will dictate which rabbits you foster and rescues have different policies on which bunnies they foster out...some foster out those that need rehabilitation and others foster out those ready for rehoming.

I've done both and can hand on heart say I find rehabilitation most rewarding as I love watching them turn about and then seeing it through to the end when they go to their new homes, but it can be very tiring and frustrating too...especially if you also have your own poorly bunnies to care for alongside your fosters. Babies are always good fun though, and most rescues do foster out litters. ;)

My experience of fostering has been brill (so far, haven't been doing it long). I've learnt loads just from getting to know different bunnies and their habits and ways and its so rewarding when they start to trust you. Letting go isn't as hard as you think it would be, as you know that your foster bunny will go to a great home, and that you can then take in another which means the rescue has another space :D

I agree with Sooz, that has also been my experience. I would add though that while I love watching buns that need to be rehabilitated improve and grow, it is terribly worrying. Of course it's worrying in any case when you have a poorly bun but in some ways it gives me extra anxiety as I do feel responsible for 'someone elses rabbit' if you know what I mean...I'm always worried that if something awful happens I'm going to have to break the news to someone else.

I also think it's important to clarify expectations up front - for example if a bun needs emergency treatment at a vet different to the rescues one (because many rescues are allowed an 'account' in some way), clarify who will pay - and if you have limited ability to pay for it, some kind of 'timescale' for payback. I would make sure you set out up front what you can/will and won't pay for, so that everyone is clear and there are no surprises, and that there is full agreement of this. Of course if your circumstances allow you to help out more on that front then that's great, but just make sure that both you and they are clear about things.

I have rescued individual buns myself and also fostered for other rescues - if I'm fostering I do prefer to be involved in the homecheck if possible, as much as I try, I do get attached to them and it helps me to feel more settled if I've seen where they are going and had some involvement in "the decision". It's not always possible but I don't like those cases :oops: Maybe I'm just a control freak :lol: (Kris: don't answer that ;) )

I agree with Sooz, that has also been my experience. I would add though that while I love watching buns that need to be rehabilitated improve and grow, it is terribly worrying. Of course it's worrying in any case when you have a poorly bun but in some ways it gives me extra anxiety as I do feel responsible for 'someone elses rabbit' if you know what I mean...I'm always worried that if something awful happens I'm going to have to break the news to someone else.

I also think it's important to clarify expectations up front - for example if a bun needs emergency treatment at a vet different to the rescues one (because many rescues are allowed an 'account' in some way), clarify who will pay - and if you have limited ability to pay for it, some kind of 'timescale' for payback. I would make sure you set out up front what you can/will and won't pay for, so that everyone is clear and there are no surprises, and that there is full agreement of this. Of course if your circumstances allow you to help out more on that front then that's great, but just make sure that both you and they are clear about things.

I have rescued individual buns myself and also fostered for other rescues - if I'm fostering I do prefer to be involved in the homecheck if possible, as much as I try, I do get attached to them and it helps me to feel more settled if I've seen where they are going and had some involvement in "the decision". It's not always possible but I don't like those cases :oops: Maybe I'm just a control freak :lol: (Kris: don't answer that ;) )

:shock::shock:
:lol::lol::lol:
Im saying nothing!! ;):p

I kept my first one........I was very sad when my second one went, I was slightly less sad when the thrid one went.....now I wave them off with gay abandon....however I was very sad when one had to be put to sleep.

the best thing is to contact your local rescue & ask them how they would feel about you fostering. They'd probably give you an extended home check & advise you on hutch sizes if you were going to purchase one specifically for fostering. some rescues will give you a hutch, some not, some pay for everything, some vets bills only, it really varies.

look at rescues close to you because you don't want to be more than 20 minutes or so away if you have a vet emergency, need to drop them off etc to be bonded/vacinated/spayed. As you can imagine the people that run the rescue have only limited time so it helps if all your fosters are close together.

look at rescues close to you because you don't want to be more than 20 minutes or so away if you have a vet emergency, need to drop them off etc to be bonded/vacinated/spayed. As you can imagine the people that run the rescue have only limited time so it helps if all your fosters are close together.

I'm pretty useless in this respect...I don't drive and poor Angie is always having to bunnyrun rabbits back and forth from mine. :oops::oops:

It also means we have to use my vets in emergencys.

I love fostering and can't wait to get back to it again once the new house is finished. I did think i would find it hard to let them go but its surprisingly satisfying when they go to a lovely new home and you know they will be happy :love: :love:

Back