• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

permanent runs on grass

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
when i build the playhouse i'll have runs attached to each side and i'm putting turf down, if the buns are out during the day what way will the grass keep? will they mow it all down? or will i need to restrict their time out in the run?

I personally found that there was too much build up of poo when two of mine had a permanent run on the grass. Now they're on concrete its easier to clean and they tend to use their litter tray more as well.

I have mine on concrete to. Couldn't trust them not to dig out or something to dig in. I have wire on the bottom of my run.

yeah was gonna place wire at the bottom of the run, will maybe limited their time in them. i can't put concrete down because of where it'll be in the garden :( at least they'll have plenty of room within the playhouse.

I put 1 of mine in a playhouse in the warmer weather with a built on run thats on grass. The poo is not a problem as he's litter trained but he eats all the grass in no time at, all so I'm going to have to do him some grass trays this year I think? :roll:

Mine come and go as they please, and have eaten every last blade of grass in their home. No edible plant survives the bunny gnashers!
Be prepared for lawn to turn into mud :roll:

Two of mine are in a permanent grass run of about 6ft x 20ft (as seen in Pea and Pod's picture). Because it's so big, they just poo down one end, which I've slabbed and you only get the odd bobble on the grass which I rake up. They keep the grass well chewed down so I don't have to mow it but I do keep it watered in the summer because it's under trees and gets very dry. They love it. Last year, they dug a huge tunnel in it. It's all under/overwired and as I've put fresh turf down over the years, the level has gradually built up so they've got about a foot of soil to dig in.

Flora and Parsnip have a shed with a 5x5ft run at one end and a 6x3ft run the other. I tried to turf the 6x3 run but because of it's small size, they just pooed and wee'd everywhere and I couldn't keep it clean. It's now slabbed!

when mine were on grass I just used to sweep up the majority of the poo with a brush.

definitely put some mesh under the turf though or you'll have escapees ;)

We used to use a garden vac to get the poo up. Have taken the lawn up now and got paving down, much easier to clean and disinfect:D

Back