• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lost use of back legs (UD Page2)

caismeister

Alpha Buck
One of my buns Alan has stasis a few weeks ago and has only just properly recovered from it. He now has lost the use of his back legs probably due to EC. He is on baytril, panacur and sreroids and has been on these for 3 days now but although he is no worse he is no better either. He is now weeing where he is lying, the vet bed is keeping him dryer than without it but his legs are getting wet. Have clipped around his back end which is not getting him too wet but is there anything else i can do. He is barely eating by himself but he is being syringe fed to keep weight on him. I am also moving his back legs as much as possible to try and prevent too much muscle wastage. Been to the vets again this morning and have 3 more days worh of injections for him but if there is no improvement do i only have one choice?:(

He looks so sad just lying in one place all the time. He is with his partner but am so worried about him.

Last edited:
Daisy loves critical care from a spoon and will chomp it on her own. Do the steroids offer some pain relief?

Hoping there is some improvement soon.

I think the people you would be best talking too is Hugosthere and Jaypot as they both have a vast range of experience with disabled bunnies.

Good Luck xxx

He has being having metacam aswell so hopefully he is not in pain. Will try him with critical care. It all just seems so hopeless as he is basically just lying in one place all day and i am frantically searching for more info and success stories to give me some hope. I can't be with him all day as i have to go to uni meaning being away from him for 4 hours today and the same tomorrow. My mum and sister will keep their eye on him but i worry that he will roll over and be on his back or will roll on his side and be covered in wee.

Has he any feeling in his back legs at all?
Has he had any diagnostics eg blood profile, spinal Xrays ?

Its very unusual for a Vet to give Metacam at the same time as a Steroid :?

We ran metacam alongside the steroids when we had Stripes.

She was happy right up until her final days when her heart began to fail and her front legs gave way under her.

She was given physiotherapy, which included some swimming as she loved the water :love:.

She used to have her back end supported with a sling made from a towel so she could still run around, which she loved. She used to love lying in the sunshine as well :cry:

Has he any feeling in his back legs at all?
Has he had any diagnostics eg blood profile, spinal Xrays ?

Its very unusual for a Vet to give Metacam at the same time as a Steroid :?

He gave him a steroid injection today and i have metacam injections to give him at home. He does have feeling in his legs which i am so pleased about. He had a spinal x-ray and all was fine and am waiting for blood results. Am making sure he keeps using his front legs and am contining to massage back legs

My boy had EC, he didnt have hind leg paralysis, but was rolling any time he moved, so he was just lying in the one place for a couple of weeks!

I had to feed him and give him water. He was also incontinent at the time, i used to lift him and sit him on his litter tray and he eventuallly would pee.

It took my boy a long time to recover, he still has head tilt, but i would stick in there if your bun isnt getting worse and is still eating when helped.

My boy had EC, he didnt have hind leg paralysis, but was rolling any time he moved, so he was just lying in the one place for a couple of weeks!

I had to feed him and give him water. He was also incontinent at the time, i used to lift him and sit him on his litter tray and he eventuallly would pee.

It took my boy a long time to recover, he still has head tilt, but i would stick in there if your bun isnt getting worse and is still eating when helped.

Thanks so much for that :)

Recommend getting hold of a copy of "When your rabbit needs special care" which has a lot of info and suggestions re EC and back leg paralysis treatment options. Some of it is a bit extreme but at least it helps you know what you can do.

If he's not eating, force feed him.

My bridge bun Goofball had her back leg removed too due to bone cancer, and it does take at least 1 to 1.5 mth. to get use to walking and running w/o the rear leg. And at the beginning, it's hard to watch, but everything come thru in the end.

I recommend you shave the fur in the wet area.

Also, because when he pees, he needs to hold her rear legs straight, I gave Goofball a pillow. And I put that on her favorite urine spot. The top & bottom portion of the pillow is packed w/ 2 thick towels each (4 total) so it's much easier for her to pee. As the towel gets wet when it catches all the urine, I dump them to the washer machine. I need to use the washing machine about once every few days. the above also relieves any stress she had when peeing due to imbalance.

If he's not eating, force feed him.

My bridge bun Goofball had her back leg removed too due to bone cancer, and it does take at least 1 to 1.5 mth. to get use to walking and running w/o the rear leg. And at the beginning, it's hard to watch, but everything come thru in the end.

I recommend you shave the fur in the wet area.

Also, because when he pees, he needs to hold her rear legs straight, I gave Goofball a pillow. And I put that on her favorite urine spot. The top & bottom portion of the pillow is packed w/ 2 thick towels each (4 total) so it's much easier for her to pee. As the towel gets wet when it catches all the urine, I dump them to the washer machine. I need to use the washing machine about once every few days. the above also relieves any stress she had when peeing due to imbalance.

Am syringe feeding him which he is loving actually and have clipped around his bum. Will def try that with the pillow though thanks :)

My boy has not got any worse infact he has slightly improved. He is trying to use his legs a little but not that much. He is still being syring fed but will eat some greens and pellets on his own. He is thin but don't know what to do to keep the weight on. He is having a mash of pellets and soaked oats syringed to him so that should be helping.

Am really pleased with him he is such a fighter. Its going to be a long road but he is showing some slight improvement which is giving me hope

It might be worth considering if he has 'floppy rabbit syndrome', I had a rabbit with hind leg paralysis, but she still moved around using her front legs, rather than just lie there. Some of the others on here will be able to advise you better about it, as I've no experience, but it sounds like more than just the hind legs are affected.

Back