• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To spay or not to spay?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I have 3 dutch X girls who are now about 6 months old. They didn't have the best start in life, so are quite small for their age (they only weigh about 1kg each). I was planning on having them spayed at about 8 months to allow them to grow and mature as much as possible.

The problem is that they have reached adolescence and are having small scuffles to establish dominance...lots of growling and chasing, but thankfully not much proper fighting...yet!

So....do I have them neutered now and hopefully avoid the fights escalating? or do I leave them to mature and risk them needing to be split up if the fighting gets out of hand?

Decisions, decisions...Any opinions?? :)

I have 2 little dutch cross that weigh 1kg. They also had a terrible start Tiffany had her leg amputated at 5 weeks and pulled through ok. I had mine neutered at 8 months to see if they would grow a bit more but they never did.

I guess if she can survive amputation at 5 weeks yours should be ok to be neutered at 6 months :)

I would also wonder if they are likely to grow much more.

I would personally be inclined to go for the op so that they can stay together. It would be sods law that I left them, had to separate and then none of them grew anymore :lol:

Good luck with them anyway :D

Not a Dutch but I waited until Juno was 8 months to spay as she looked so tiny for an adult bunny at 6 months but truth be told she was still the same size at 8 months, only with far more attitude. Personally I wish I had had her done earlier now, though the vets did struggle to find all her bits due to her size. :?

6 months is plenty old enough and I wouldn't delay if they are starting to fight. A client where I work had 2 sisters and was planning to spey them at 6 months but sadly at 5 months they had a nasty fight and one of the was so badly injured around the genitals she had to be euthanased :cry:

Back