• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed: Sexing bunnies and behavioural issues

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Right I have quite an embarassing problem on my hands. I have two rescue bunnies now aged 6. I have had them for around 2.5 years. They are the first bunnies I have ever owned or had any contact with.

They were adopted as a neutered doe and buck pair, any although i do bum checks etc, there was never any reason to check their nether regions that closely!

Anyway, yesterday I noticed Rolo (the 'doe') had a slightly wet/mucky bum and so I was just helping her to clean up when I noticed that she was most probably a he! I checked Ozzie and he is the same - nmost def a buck. There are no plums so they must be neutered right?

But although they've lived together for around 6 years, Rolo has started to hump Ozzie quite vigorously recently. It has got worse in the last few weeks. In the past I have always put it down to Rolo trying to exert her dominance over Ozzie, but now it has got much worse and on top of that I have now found out she is a boy. They have had one very horribel fight where Rolo bit Ozzie's ear and drew blood and split his lop ear.

So my question really is - how can I stop Rolo humping Ozzie so much (if it is at all possible), why has it suddenly got worse at age 6, and could it be possible that Rolo's neutering wasn't as successful as Ozzie's or is it just a personality difference?

I have considered getting them each their own girlfriend and separating them, but as i don't have the room or the money for two more bunnies, i don't really see this as an option at the moment:(

I feel very stupid only discovering this now, but I really just didn't see the need to check :(

Thanks - i really need your help on this!

Thanks for that - v v helpful. When I get home later I'll have a look again and compare to the pictures. On the link in that thread to another web page on sexing buns, it seems female regions can pop out too! Oh dear. Looks like a trip to the vets this week!

i found when sexing bunnies not to look if bits were popping out girls tend to have more of a slit type hole that reaches down to the bottom hole whereas boys have a round hole that doesnt resch down to the bottom. hope it helps

Thanks for your replies! I've had a chance to have a good look and compare to the pics and links in the other thread and I'm pretty sure Rolo is a girl after all!!!

Straight away I was positive Ozzie is a boy by the tube like projection with a hole in the middle. Whereas with Rolo it was more tricky - she had the hood like, pyramid like projection. I wasn't sure about the distance between the anus and the genitalia as i couldn't compare directly, but i would say I am 98% sure I have got it right.

Last week, due to my inexperience in sexing it looked like Rolo was a boy, because of the projection in the genitalia area, but now i can see that they can both project but they just look different!!!

Back