• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Mini Mylo :( - Update post 25 :)

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
Our resident Nethie at the rescue is going to the vets tomorrow, for possibley the last time :(

He's had an awful growth on his mouth/nose area for a while now. We tried EVERYTHING and nothing shifted it.
It spreads really quickly and after so long, starts to fall off and leaves red raw skin underneath. The odd thing is, these growths that fall off, are hollow :shock:

He's had 4 biopsys done, and the last ones came back saying there was nothing we could do, apart from cut it out. We can't do that because it's on his face :( They grow about 1cm in 1 week :(

We're taking him to see the bunny vet tomorrow, and she might make the kind desision to let him go :( He's really struggling to breathe sometimes and he can't eat as well as he used to. He's such a sweet little guy. He came into the rescue nearly a year ago. He came in with Ozzy (who now lives with Tickles) and Missy & Itsy the mother & daughter pair that both had a litter 2 weeks apart and all lived happily in 1 hutch & run - Itsy is my Dylan's Mum!!

So please, spare some thoughts for Mini Mylo, my special little nethie :( I always said, if I was to adopt another pair from the rescue, it would've been Violet & Mylo :(

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02431.jpg

Last edited:
Poor wee man :cry:

I am sure your Vet has considered Treponematosis as a diagnosis (Rabbit Syphillis). This is treatable, a course of Penicillin Injections usually aleviates symptoms even if it does not prevent relapses in the future.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171321.htm

The other thing is the Shope Fibroma Virus. Although there is no treatment for this virus it is self limiting and usually resolves over about 12 months. Obviously if the growths obstruct the airway surgery would need to be carried out but it might be possible :?

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-27256--,00.html

Sending vibes for the brave wee Bunny

xx

Poor wee man :cry:

I am sure your Vet has considered Treponematosis as a diagnosis (Rabbit Syphillis). This is treatable, a course of Penicillin Injections usually aleviates symptoms even if it does not prevent relapses in the future.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171321.htm

The other thing is the Shope Fibroma Virus. Although there is no treatment for this virus it is self limiting and usually resolves over about 12 months. Obviously if the growths obstruct the airway surgery would need to be carried out but it might be possible :?

xx

Thanks Jane.

We did riginally test him for Syphillis and the results came back saying he didn't have it.
Mandy Said the vet seems to think he might've had a little cut on his nose and this happened. Like an infection, but not. Kinda weird. Violet had something very similar too, and Mylo got it after her. Violet's cleared up really quickly though, and obviously Mylo's never went :(
I'll get Mandy to mention the Shope Fibroma Virus to Michelle tomorrow too.

Aww the poor love :( Looks really sore :(

Good luck at the vets with Mylo, I hope they can sort something out for him. **Vibes**

xx

xx

Isn't that the disease the Myxi vaccine is derived from to produce cross immunisation? In that case, would it still be SFV if he had been vaccinated?

I mentioned to Mandy the Shope Fibroma that Jane mentioned and Mandy researched it online rang the vets. Michelle was busy, so rang her back a bit later on. Mandy rang me on my way home from work.

She said Michelle wants to try this Cryo thing?? She was going to talk to Mandy about it at the appointment tomorrow, but because Mandy rang up, they've organised it for tomorrow. Basically, it's like wart removal. Michelle is trained in it, but has never done it on a bunny before. Michelle's going to give that a go, and try and get the growths down to a managable level, and we're going to put this marigold stuff on it from a health food shop that's supposed to help shrink warts, as well as giving him pain relief. That's had a good success rate.

So. PLEASE send vibes for mini mylo's big op tomorrow. He's such a brave little soldier. :(

Aww poor little love :(

Has he had a course of penicillin injections just in case it is syphillis that is for some reason not being picked up from the biopsy? Might be at least worth a try :(

My only other suggestion would be to get your vet to fax the Bristol vet school on Wednesday (the rabbit clinic is only on a Wed so it needs to be faxed then) to see if they have any other suggestions? For the sake of a few more days it might be worth a go, if he can still breathe ok in the meantime.

Gentle kisses and nose rubs to the lovely lad xxx

I really hope that it all works out for the adorable little guy and that he gets better soon. Lots of good vibes and thoughts for his recovery.:love::love:

Back