• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions needed please

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
My trio are currently living in a 6 x 2 hutch with 6 x 4 under run and access to another enclosed 6 x 6 area in front of their run all day (we work from home).

I invested in an all singing all dancing hutch snuggle for the hutch and back of the run last year and none of them use upstairs at all :roll: I have tried filling it with hay which they just pull downstairs - so it is just sat empty.

I have put a small hutch in the back of the run to give them more shelter and warmth and removed the ramp (in case it was that they didn't like) and put them a tree stump to jump on to get up. They can all easily get up and down but just don't (except to rearrange they hay) :shock:

My question is this - should I take upstairs off them and let 2 of my male guinea pigs go in there as they would love a bit more space, and if they don't go in there, I will buy them another hutch as they have been in a hutch in the shed over the winter but I think that as they are sharing the shed with my french lops (in their own hutch) the noise is stressing them out and they would appreciate some peace and quiet.

I would just feel neglectful my trio not having the top - but if they don't use it what can I do? :?

Are you 100% sure they don't use it, even during the night? I can see what you're saying but to me they should have the option of going into a sheltered area, even if they hardly ever choose to. Personally I'd just leave it as it is I think.

My buns sit in their run virtually all the time. The only reason they go into the hutch is to get food or run away from me :roll:

Are you 100% sure they don't use it, even during the night? I can see what you're saying but to me they should have the option of going into a sheltered area, even if they hardly ever choose to. Personally I'd just leave it as it is I think.

I couldn't be 100% sure apart from the fact that there is no poo up there and it is totally empty as I have given up putting any bedding up there as it is all dragged downstairs as soon as I put it in :roll:

Also stopped putting their water bottle up there - they just have it on their run now (they did have 2 but did not use the one upstairs) and they have their food downstairs as there is more room.

I agree that they need a sheltered area which was why I put another small hutch in the back corner of the run. It just seems such a waste sat empty with that expensive cover on it :roll:

Funny Bunnies :lol::lol::lol:

Back