• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Savvy Vets - NW London/Hertfordshire

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Looking for rabbit savvy vets in NW London or Hertfordshire. Our current vet is Guy Carter in Medivet Watford, but apparently, he's not rabbit savvy enough.

Last edited:
I would stick with him, he has a good reputation. If you are not happy with how things are going, you should go back to him and discuss it. :D

Thank you. It's just that people on here seem to think he's not rabbit savvy enough with Molly's hocks. I'll talk to him about it when we take her.

You have to remember a vet only sees a rabbit for a very short time and won't notice changes etc so as the owner you have to explain that she is in pain and keep going back until it is sorted. Tell him they have got worse and you are not happy to leave them be. You need to be more assertive, remember you are paying him!

I used to see Guy Carter and I always thought he had a pretty good reputation with bunsters. I used to travel from Milton Keynes to Watford to see him and he wasn't cheap either! Fortunately, I now have an excellent rabbit vet in Northampton (the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic).

You have to remember a vet only sees a rabbit for a very short time and won't notice changes etc so as the owner you have to explain that she is in pain and keep going back until it is sorted. Tell him they have got worse and you are not happy to leave them be. You need to be more assertive, remember you are paying him!

I agree. I know in your other thread Lionheadluver you mentioned Guy Carter said Molly only need to come back if they were calloused/bleeding etc. BUT you have said yourself Molly is sitting strangely as if her hocks are causing her pain.

You dont have to feel silly for taking her back there as you feel she is in discomfort.

The vet saw you for a short while last time with Molly and gave you cream, you dont feel the cream has worked and while Molly's hocks dont look very bad you feel sure that she is in some discomfort and you'd like to try another method of treatment.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in just going and saying that to him.
If anything it will show him what a concerned owner you are.

When Picollo was unwell with what we found out was leukemia, at first my vet just treated him for a urine infection, which while it improved his wet back legs it did not stop me thinking that there was something still not right so I took him back to my vet and so they agreed and did further investigation and we eventually discovered the leukemia. My vets weren't wrong with their initial diagnosis of a urine infection but there was more besides and they were as determined as me to get to the bottom of it.

I'm sure your vet will want to get to the bottom of Molly's problem too.

Having any pet is just like having a child. They cannot always communicate what the problem is, so you have to fight their corner for them.

Guy Carter is a brilliant rabbit savvy vet but he only saw your Molly for one consultation. He doesnt live with her. You must follow your instincts and take her back to him and fight your corner, tell him how you feel, vet's are as concerned for the animals welfare as you are but if you dont express your concerns to him, he's not a mind reader, he's not going to know!

If it helps, write down all your questions and concerns before you go. Write how she is kept (bedding etc) and seek his opinion. Write down all the symptoms that are making you feel concerned, so you dont forget anything. Write down why you feel the cream she was given is not working. Writing it all down will make sure you forget nothing so you can come away feeling satisfied that you have all your questions and concerns answered.

My vet wrote down her replies to my questions on the same piece of paper :lol: so I could take it away and refer back to what I couldnt remember.

Sorry I am rambling on but I really feel passionately that you must be more forceful and determined with the vet when you see him, rather than just taking what he says without querying it and then coming here and asking over and over for advice when the only real person who can help Molly is yourself in conjuction with your vet. No good vet will mind you giving them the spanish inquisition about the treatment of your animal. Truly.

Good luck x

I agree. I know in your other thread Lionheadluver you mentioned Guy Carter said Molly only need to come back if they were calloused/bleeding etc. BUT you have said yourself Molly is sitting strangely as if her hocks are causing her pain.

You dont have to feel silly for taking her back there as you feel she is in discomfort.

The vet saw you for a short while last time with Molly and gave you cream, you dont feel the cream has worked and while Molly's hocks dont look very bad you feel sure that she is in some discomfort and you'd like to try another method of treatment.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in just going and saying that to him.
If anything it will show him what a concerned owner you are.

When Picollo was unwell with what we found out was leukemia, at first my vet just treated him for a urine infection, which while it improved his wet back legs it did not stop me thinking that there was something still not right so I took him back to my vet and so they agreed and did further investigation and we eventually discovered the leukemia. My vets weren't wrong with their initial diagnosis of a urine infection but there was more besides and they were as determined as me to get to the bottom of it.

I'm sure your vet will want to get to the bottom of Molly's problem too.

Having any pet is just like having a child. They cannot always communicate what the problem is, so you have to fight their corner for them.

Guy Carter is a brilliant rabbit savvy vet but he only saw your Molly for one consultation. He doesnt live with her. You must follow your instincts and take her back to him and fight your corner, tell him how you feel, vet's are as concerned for the animals welfare as you are but if you dont express your concerns to him, he's not a mind reader, he's not going to know!

If it helps, write down all your questions and concerns before you go. Write how she is kept (bedding etc) and seek his opinion. Write down all the symptoms that are making you feel concerned, so you dont forget anything. Write down why you feel the cream she was given is not working. Writing it all down will make sure you forget nothing so you can come away feeling satisfied that you have all your questions and concerns answered.

My vet wrote down her replies to my questions on the same piece of paper :lol: so I could take it away and refer back to what I couldnt remember.

Sorry I am rambling on but I really feel passionately that you must be more forceful and determined with the vet when you see him, rather than just taking what he says without querying it and then coming here and asking over and over for advice when the only real person who can help Molly is yourself in conjuction with your vet. No good vet will mind you giving them the spanish inquisition about the treatment of your animal. Truly.

Good luck x

First class post :thumb:

I hope after the time and effort you put into posting it, it wont fall on deaf ears................

Back