• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matilda's eye

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Matilda (my rew police bunny) had a really bad eye this morning it was closed up, it was running really bad (all her face was wet) and all cream was coming out of it (her eye was fine yesterday). I cleaned it all up and she had a piece of hay in it (I assumed it had got stuck there when it gunked up), it was so long she flinched when I got it out, it was like it had work its way behind her eye ball :shock:. Anyway I just went to clean it up again and it's completely dried up, eye open and looks normal :?, the fur underneath looks a bit messy, but it is just from where I cleaned it this morning. Do you think she just had that hay in her eye and that caused it, I can't believe how bad it looked and how well it looks now :?

Last edited:
Matilda (my rew police bunny) had a really bad eye this morning it was closed up, it was running really bad (all her face was wet) and all cream was coming out of it (her eye was fine yesterday). I cleaned it all up and she had a piece of hay in it (I assumed it had got stuck there when it gunked up), it was so long she flinched when I got it out, it was like it had work its way behind her eye ball :shock:. Anyway I just went to clean it up again and it's completely dried up, eye open and looks normal :? and is open, the fur underneath looks a bit meshy, but it is just from where I cleaned it this morning. Do you think she just had that hay in her eye and that caused it, I can't believe how bad it looked and how well it looks now :?

I suspect the hay got stuck in the conjunctiva and that caused all the inflammation and pus. You just need to make sure that the hay hasn't scratched her cornea as if it has it may ulcerate. Some Fluorescein would show any corneal abrasions.

My Eddie had the same thing happen, it looks awful doesn't it !!

She will have to visit the vet tomorrow (which I had planned when I saw her eye this morning), just can't believe how it can look so bad and then clear, I felt like I had dreamt it :oops::lol::lol:. It looked vile, like some one had squirted cream over her face :shock:

Yes hers was a like that, it made my knees go funny so goodness know how she felt :shock:

Poor matilda, this happens quite a bit to my piggies. Once the hay is out the eye heals remarkable quickly :)

Take your finger, pull down her lower eyelips, then use natural tear drop on her eyes, once every 2 hr., the natural tear should flush whatever is in her eyes, and the moisture also makes her eyes more comfy. You do in every 2 hr. in case the 1st or 2nd time you miss it, and you hope that 1 of those times, it will flush everything out.

I am guessing not just a piece of hay, but perhaps 1 or a few pieces of seedhead powder could be inside as well.

I have use it before on Bernie when there is a piece of fur stuck on his eyes. I drop enough eye drop for it to flush the fur off his eyes.

The brand name I use is called Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

Im so gald Matilda is feeeling better now.Well done Tree for getting the hey out.It must have been very painful

Back