• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plants

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I would like to get some 'colour' in my garden with some plants. What can I buy/plant that is bunny friendly ... ie that they can eat and be okay or that looks good and they wont eat it? Is there a list, does anyone know?
Thanks!

There are loads of lists around and about...my personal experience is that if it looks good and it's safe...they will undoubtedly eat it :roll: Even if all they do is snip it off at the base and leave it to wilt!

A few years ago I started buying colourful pots and colourful gravel/slate and putting plants in the pots out of their reach, or so I thought. It didn't take the monkeys long to master vertical take off and landing to get into the pots :lol:

Sorry, that's not much help, but I find that bunnies pretty much destroy anything and everything unless it's very well protected.

Bunnies don't like Pieris plants I have 2 in my garden that are unprotected from my 2 rabbits. Neither will touch them, even hen the plants is really small. They are evergreen plants with leaves that go red then pink then green and they have very small white flowers in summer. There are lots of different varieties of Pieris with different colour leaves etc.

Most of my other plants they have had a go at if I have left them unprotected:(:( Sometimes I now put chicken wire round the stem and leave it there until the shrub is quite large, by this time they usually can't reach the leaves and flowers :lol:

I haven't come across any more varieties that bunnies won't touch sorry, but hope this helps :wave:

I was once told that "rabbits don't eat hostas".

My rabbits obviously didn't read that particular text book though :lol: I think hostas are members of the plantain family so it makes perfect sense to me that they would enjoy them as much as the slugs do :?

I don't know what is safe but avoid everything that grows from a bulb :)

oh why? I did have lillies last year and have daff's coming through at the mo and the bun's do destroy them all .... (not sure if they eat them or just dig them up?)

There are loads of lists around and about...my personal experience is that if it looks good and it's safe...they will undoubtedly eat it :roll: Even if all they do is snip it off at the base and leave it to wilt!

A few years ago I started buying colourful pots and colourful gravel/slate and putting plants in the pots out of their reach, or so I thought. It didn't take the monkeys long to master vertical take off and landing to get into the pots :lol:

Sorry, that's not much help, but I find that bunnies pretty much destroy anything and everything unless it's very well protected.

oh yes, been there and done that! hee, hee. When the bun's were little my pots were safe but it didn't take them long to figure out how to jump into them (and now they can jump straight onto them!)

oh why? I did have lillies last year and have daff's coming through at the mo and the bun's do destroy them all .... (not sure if they eat them or just dig them up?)

All bulbs are poisonous to bunnies in varying degrees - both plant bulbs and things like onions etc.

It's also worth noting that lilies are extremely toxic to cats - just brushing past lilies and licking the pollen off their coats can kill them :shock:

About the only thing that has survived in my garden is an old rosemary bush. They occasionally nibble the leaves but don't seem to like it much.

About the only thing that has survived in my garden is an old rosemary bush. They occasionally nibble the leaves but don't seem to like it much.

really? they have stripped my rosemary bare ... and my chives, thyme and oregramo (sp?)!

All bulbs are poisonous to bunnies in varying degrees - both plant bulbs and things like onions etc.

It's also worth noting that lilies are extremely toxic to cats - just brushing past lilies and licking the pollen off their coats can kill them :shock:

wow, I never knew that! maybe that is why we dont get cats in the garden! With the bulb plants I am assuming that it would be an 'instant' kind of thing then? Like I say, I had them in the garden last year when I got the bun's ....

Bunnies don't like Pieris plants I have 2 in my garden that are unprotected from my 2 rabbits. Neither will touch them, even hen the plants is really small. They are evergreen plants with leaves that go red then pink then green and they have very small white flowers in summer. There are lots of different varieties of Pieris with different colour leaves etc.

Most of my other plants they have had a go at if I have left them unprotected:(:( Sometimes I now put chicken wire round the stem and leave it there until the shrub is quite large, by this time they usually can't reach the leaves and flowers :lol:

I haven't come across any more varieties that bunnies won't touch sorry, but hope this helps :wave:

That sounds hopeful! I will look them up and see if I can get some. Thanks!

Back