• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilema

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have a bit of a dilema going on. I rescued a male lionhead last year. He lived outside all summer as he loves being outside. I brought him in for the winter and he was bonded with my female spayed house rabbit. Now the weather is improving I feel it is nearly time for him to start going back outside. But my house rabbit doesnt really like going outside but I don't really want to seperate them. So what do I do???

If they are bonded now it would be very unkind to separate them, so I think you really just need to work out whether they are going to be happier indoors or outdoors. How long have you had your female? Maybe she's not happy with the outdoors because it's not warm enough yet - if she's only ever been inside she may not be happy to go outside until May or June even - the temperature still drops right off at night until then (look at the last frost dates for your area!)

I think you're really just going to have to trial and error it to see how they appear to be happiest, safest, healthiest, with most freedom etc. You can help make any transition to ourdoors easier by including some familiar things with them if you move them...this should help her to feel more reassured that everything hasn't suddenly all changed.

Tinkerbell was a houserabbit when we got Simba. They bonded in the house but Simba hated it in there.

We tried Tinkerbell outside with him and she was fine.

wait another moth or so and then try putting them out i ndaytime gradually bringing them over to being outside full time.... she wil lprobly be happier outside now she has a play freind! x

thanks for the advice. We have had Flopsey, my female bun for 3 years. I put her outside quite a bit through the day last summer but she just sat there. I get the feeling she doesn't like to be confined to one place. She has to whole dining room to roam around in all day and then at night she has the whole house for a good few hours.

You will probably find she likes exploring outside when she has another bun to run around with. All of my house bunnies except one love going outside. I let them have a few hours out each, more once i've sorted the garden out, and if I think Maisie wants to be in I just open the door and she comes in if she's ready. Sometimes George will sit outside for hours and maisie will stay indoors, it doesn't affect their bond.

I would just put them outside during the day and let her come back in if she wants to.

Just to add..

my house rabbits didn't get to see a garden for the first two years of their life, and when I put them out initially they were petrified and just sat in one corner... now they can't get enough of it! They never want to come in!

if you really must put her out im sure within the month shell be used to it...:D:D but it wont be an immediate love of the great outdoors shell need to get used to the new smells, sounds and difference in temp... plus no TV :shock::lol::lol:

Pearl was an outside bun to a house bunny and it took at least 2 weeks - month before she got over the initial fear of a new environment.

i personally would keep them as house bunnies, but i cant imagine ever wanting to keep my bunnies outside lol

good luck :wave::wave:

Back