• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding bonded rabbits

Rose

Mama Doe
Do people with bonded buns use separate bowls?

I am tempting to bond Molly and Jack at the weekend and is just a little worried about feeding them in the future (if it works) as Molly loves her food and gets so excited and grunts etc i'm a little worried it may cause a fight. Jack is very laid back with his food.

Last edited:
We have a bonded 4 staying with us at the moment and they are all fed in their own bowls, otherwise the smallest one tends to get left out. One is a bit of a bully and tends to get very territorial when her bowl goes down so there is no way she would let others anywhere near a single bowl.

I'd wait to see how it goes. if there are a few scuffles then seperate bowls, if not, just try it.. ;)

my two eat from the same bowl... dora is very possessive about food but she still lets arthur eat initially i geve them 2 bowls one each as was worried like you... but they both just ate from one then the other together!!! so i gave up!!!!

my 2 share the same bowl for pellets, i was worried to start with that betsy would eat them all as shes bigger but i used to watch them to make sure that they both got some and they do. Even if one of them is out in the run the other one leaves some for her.

I would say see how it goes as it depends on each different bun.

my two eat from the same bowl... dora is very possessive about food but she still lets arthur eat initially i geve them 2 bowls one each as was worried like you... but they both just ate from one then the other together!!! so i gave up!!!!

Good idea, give them two bowls and if they eat together transfer into one.
Xx

We have a bonded 4 staying with us at the moment and they are all fed in their own bowls, otherwise the smallest one tends to get left out. One is a bit of a bully and tends to get very territorial when her bowl goes down so there is no way she would let others anywhere near a single bowl.

Thats abit like Molly, she will also eat all of it whereas Jack will still have some left hours later.

If you see one is getting less than the other, you could always hand feed the pellets part of their dinner....
'One for you' and 'Two for you'....

My four all eat from one big bowl, they are all very enthusiastic eaters and just dive in,not bothered by each other!

my pair share.. even if i used separate bowls they would share (take from each others mouths lol) and then move onto the 2nd bowl :roll:

my pair share.. even if i used separate bowls they would share (take from each others mouths lol) and then move onto the 2nd bowl :roll:

:lol::lol: thats what mine do! I have to put a little bit extra in, just in case. Hermione scoffs her food, taking in about 20 pellets in each mouthful :roll: but Oscar eats really dainty and takes little bites :lol:

:lol::lol: thats what mine do! I have to put a little bit extra in, just in case. Hermione scoffs her food, taking in about 20 pellets in each mouthful :roll: but Oscar eats really dainty and takes little bites :lol:

lololol pearl does that too...shes a right miss piggy.. Alvin often thinks whether he trusts the food before he eats so by that time pearls already eaten hers and moved onto his then he has to try and steal it back :lol::lol::lol:

and with treats he runs about for 5 mins before he stops to eat, again pearls is already gone :roll: silly Alvin :lol::lol::lol:

lololol pearl does that too...shes a right miss piggy.. Alvin often thinks whether he trusts the food before he eats so by that time pearls already eaten hers and moved onto his then he has to try and steal it back :lol::lol::lol:

and with treats he runs about for 5 mins before he stops to eat, again pearls is already gone :roll: silly Alvin :lol::lol::lol:
:lol: :lol:

I think girls are more trouble and greedy them the boys :D

Alfie's the greedy pig in our house. :lol: I started by giving them a bowl each but they would both try to stuff their faces into the one bowl, so now I just give them all the pellets in one big bowl. Bubbles is a slow eater, so I sneak her a few extra pellets by hand when Alfie isn't looking.

If it does cause squabbling, offer another bowl or try scattering the pellets around instead of in a bowl. :D

When I first bonded Barney and Bubbles last year they had seperate bowls and I gradually moved them onto one bowl. They have a big dog bowl so they can both get there piggy heads in it!!

Back