• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya :wave:

Okay, so I'm looking after my friend's bunny for a week while she's away, and I'm hoping to get her spayed:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170470

So a few things. I live near Stamford, Rutland - anyone know of a good rabbit-savvy vet round here? Second, I've read the care sections about post-op care, any additional advice? Also, she's only gonna be here for a week, so any suggestions how I can make her feel more comfortable and at home?

Thanks guys!!

xx

Hiya :wave:

Okay, so I'm looking after my friend's bunny for a week while she's away, and I'm hoping to get her spayed:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170470

So a few things. I live near Stamford, Rutland - anyone know of a good rabbit-savvy vet round here? Second, I've read the care sections about post-op care, any additional advice? Also, she's only gonna be here for a week, so any suggestions how I can make her feel more comfortable and at home?

Thanks guys!!

xx

sorrydont know your area for vets. but here are a few things sorry if goign over what other people have said.
1n make sure she eats right up till op she doesnt need starving like a cat or dog dont let any vet who says that do her.
2 get ready some nice strong smelling foods for when she comes home. make sure vet ahs checked her heart rate adn genreal wellness before she goes in in a pre op check any rabbit not 100% well should not be spayed.

my buns prefer a water bowl after a ga so give her the option of both. she will need cage rest for minimum of 2 days but try and keep her indoors for up to a week if possibe dont let her be on bedding with is bittty this includes hay ie keep her on soft towels and newspaper. avoid jumping and binkying. for recovery time. the vet should give her a pin killer that lasts 24hours after her surgery and you can request more some bunnys need it others dont it varys rabbit to rabbit. also she should be given a gut stimulant too by vets. have some baby food ready just in case she is off ehr food as some bunnys wont eat up to 24 hours after the op .
keeping ehr warm is essential as rabbits cannot regulate their temperature after a ga too xx

Sorry if this is a daft question but does your friend know she is being spayed? Is the doe staying with you or are you looking after her in her own home? If with you she may already be a bit upset about the change in environment so is getting her spayed a good idea? If you do go ahead hope all goes well for her. Keep her warm and check the things others have mentioned eg pooing, eating and she should be OK.

Sorry if this is a daft question but does your friend know she is being spayed? .

Yes :D Sorry, I didn't make it clear. She wants to get her spayed, but finds it tricky to fit round her job etc, whereas I work mainly nights so much easier for me.

Is the doe staying with you or are you looking after her in her own home? If with you she may already be a bit upset about the change in environment so is getting her spayed a good idea? If you do go ahead hope all goes well for her. Keep her warm and check the things others have mentioned eg pooing, eating and she should be OK.

Miss Jingles has come to stay with me, I expected her to be a little unsure of her new surroundings, but she's settled straight in!

I've got her a soft blanket for after her spay, and bought a few of her favourite foods. Are there any things I need to check with the vet when I pick her up/ questions I should ask - should I ask if she's been given pain relief/a gut stimulant etc or can this just be assumed?

Good luck to Miss Jingles with her op. Make sure you keep feeding as normal up to the time of her op. as bunnies should not be starved before surgery. Otherise I think you have it covered. I'm sure all will be well and there will be lots of advise on here to get you through.

Help needed! Jaw Abscess

Please can anyone help me regarding the topic below this on in the forum
i really dont know what to do.

Back