• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrr... but also yay! UPDATE: I'M A BUNNY MUMMY!!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
So I was working last night and a friend of mine came into the bar. Haven't seen her for ages, so we were chatting away. Then I asked after her housemate's rabbit. "Oh, well, she's thinking of getting rid of it, it's annoying her" :censored:

So then I asked what the rabbit was doing that was soooo annoying, and it turns out she's mounting, chewing, etc, so I said "I told her this would happen, and that behaviour will stop if she gets her spayed" and my friend said "yeah i know, i told her that, she's thinking about it. I think she's just weighing up all her options at the mo" :roll:

And the most annoying thing is I told this girl all about the number of rabbits in rescues, and talked to her about care, injections, spaying, etc, I said to my friend last night "Did she not listen to my rant" and my friend's boyfriend said "ah yes, the rant, I wasn't there, but I heard about it" :oops: but obv I kind of knew something like this was gonna happen.

So I stewed all evening, worrying about this poor rabbit ending up in a rescue, or as some "family pet" that lives on her own at the end of a garden. And then I had a fabulous idea! The friend who owns the rabbit is going away for a week - I could offer to look after the rabbit, and take her to the vets while my friend is away! That way the rabbit is spayed when she gets back, so hopefully the bad behaviour will cease and my friend will want to keep the bunny. And if not, I'll have had a trial week getting to know the bunny and can offer to take her :D Plus I get to look after a bunny for a whole week, and she is beautiful!!! :love:

So I suggested this to my friend, including the idea of me taking her to the vets, and she is all for it! So as of tomorrow, I am a temporary bunny mummy :D

Pics to follow!

I'm gonna post in the care section about where to go for the spay and post-op care.....

Last edited:
Make sure the owner is ok with you taking it to the vets :)
Other than that seems like a good solution, could take a while for hormones to settle down so she might not see a change straight away.

The vets will need a form signed by the owner before they can operate due to the slight risk it always poses.

Make sure the owner is ok with you taking it to the vets :)

She is! Just had visions of my friend coming home to a partially shaved bunny and me actiang like I couldn't see anything different :lol: Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I've said I'll take her to the vets cos I work evenings so it's easier for me.

And re: fiona's post, I will talk to her about the risks when she brings the bunny over tomorrow and will make sure she is still fine with it. :)

She is! Just had visions of my friend coming home to a partially shaved bunny and me actiang like I couldn't see anything different :lol: Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I've said I'll take her to the vets cos I work evenings so it's easier for me.

And re: fiona's post, I will talk to her about the risks when she brings the bunny over tomorrow and will make sure she is still fine with it. :)

:oops: I thought you meant you asked your other friend. If the owners fine with you doing that then I'm sure it'll be fine.

In that case great idea :) hope it works, or else I hope you fall for her and keep her :lol:

Not very, it happens though, like with all animals, but GA techniques are much improved, so you shouldn't really worry
Xx

According to the vet at the RWA conference (info coming in use already :lol:)1.8% die under anaesthetic or from complications so not a high risk at all. It is worth having a search on here as there is lots of info about pre and post spay care etc

According to the vet at the RWA conference (info coming in use already :lol:)1.8% die under anaesthetic or from complications so not a high risk at all. It is worth having a search on here as there is lots of info about pre and post spay care etc

I've been looking for a stat on this for ages! Yay! :lol:

That way the rabbit is spayed when she gets back, so hopefully the bad behaviour will cease and my friend will want to keep the bunny. And if not, I'll have had a trial week getting to know the bunny and can offer to take her :D Plus I get to look after a bunny for a whole week, and she is beautiful!!! :love:

I GOT TO KEEP THE BUNNY!!!

My friend got back last Tuesday, so I took Mr Beau Jangles (the artist formally known as Sophia Jingles) round to give him back. Almost straight away my friend said that she had decided she was definitely going to take him to a rescue :( she wasn't even gonna give him a chance and wait and see if his operation had calmed him down :( and she said "I'm like one of those people who gets a dog at Christmas and then doesn't want it anymore" and said it so flippantly! Oooooh, don't get me started!!

But the long and short of it is, I get to be a bunny mummy :) I'm not meant to have pets, and I live at the end of my landlady's garden, which if the main reason I had to give my bunnys up last time, but I'm moving in wiv my boyf in less than a months time so it's all gonna work out fine! And he loves the bunny too. Yay!!!

Back