• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So excited - new bunny housing! U/d 17.07.11 - RESURRECTED *lots of pics!*

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Not posted on here for a while but I needed to share my exciting news with like-minded people.

I am getting some new amazing bunny housing courtesy of my OH! Winter and Alice currently live in a 6ftx2x2 hutch with permanently attached 6x6 run. Zion lives in a 4x4 playhouse with attached 6x4 run. Zion needs a girlfriend as his recent pairing didn't work out but I hope to sort that out shortly.

Anyway the bunnies will be taking over the end of the garden and will have 6ft x 8ft avaries with hutches inside. Inbetween the two avaries will be an 6ftx8ft shed to hold all of their supplies (and a chest freezer). This is so they can't see eachother and obviously so I can have some storage. The avaries and shed will be covered with clear plastic corrugated roofing so no more plastic covering runs in the rain! It also means I can go into the runs with them and chill out with them.

I will start a building diary once we get it all started. It's gonna cost a fortune but my OH said it's a birthday pressie. Sooooo exciting. Will keep you posted :D

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic, just one little bit of friendly advice though/word of warning. Please go careful with the plastic corrugated roofing as it will become like a greenhouse in the summer.
Will look forward to seeing pictures:D

That sounds fantastic, just one little bit of friendly advice though/word of warning. Please go careful with the plastic corrugated roofing as it will become like a greenhouse in the summer.
Will look forward to seeing pictures:D

I'm so jealous!
It's right about the roof sheets though. I sprayed mine with a couple of layers of green acrylic paint which gives a shady effect but stil lets a bit of light through.:)

Oh really? I mean it will be about 7ft high so it will have a wire mesh panel at the front 6ftx7ft - will it still get really hot?

That end of the garden doesn't get a lot of sunlight, only right at the end of the day so they will be in shade most of the day so I don't think it will be too bad. Very good tip though - thanks! :)

Oh really? I mean it will be about 7ft high so it will have a wire mesh panel at the front 6ftx7ft - will it still get really hot?

That end of the garden doesn't get a lot of sunlight, only right at the end of the day so they will be in shade most of the day so I don't think it will be too bad. Very good tip though - thanks! :)

Ive used the black sheets on my aviary roof. Not sure whats its called but its also corrigated but it doesnt allow heat in like clear plastic as thats the reason we went for this instead.

Well I have decided to resurrect this thread as the 'Bunny Palace' (as we refer to it altho I have seem some other structure which could easily be called this!) is almost finished!

Turns out this has become and enormous project and my hubby hasn't been exactly brimming with initiative. However I cannot complain as it's almost sorted! So I thought I would show some pics of it's progress:

This is how the garden looked in 2009 - with Winter and Summer's hutch at the end.

1.jpg

Preparing the ground in May 2009
2.jpg

7.jpg

Building the shed (shed not for bunnies but bunny and garden supplies)
9.jpg

10.jpg

April 2011 - The frame is finally built
16.jpg

17.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Roof being built!:
25.jpg

27.jpg

How it looks now:
29.jpg

31.jpg

Its pretty massive! (bigger than we originally anticipated but it looks nice). need to fit all the mesh to the panels and ensure the roof is secure etc so little nasties can't get in. Also need to sort out some kinda drainage (bit back to front) to stop my garden turning into a swamp!

Will keep it updated to show off the finished article!

wow did you not need planning permission for that? its almost as big as a house :shock:

No idea - hubby looked into all that kinda stuff. it's not bigger than a conservatory and don't think you need it for that. I've not been involved in that stuff tho :)

Back