• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting Worried about Tila's Hygiene - advice please! UD booked into the vet!

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
For those who don't know Tila, he's my year-and-a-half old buck (desexed) who had his teeth removed late last year for osteomyelitis treatment. Since then I have been assisting his grooming with regular, thorough brushes (the malting seems to be endless!! It takes me a good half hour of brushing to get rid of most of the excess fur :shock:). When giving him his brush I check everything over (ears, eyes, mouth, claws, bum, etc).

For the first time ever he let me clip all his claws! I'm happy, that saves me $10 a month on his already at least $70 monthly vet bills!

Today I noticed some dried poo stuck on his bum. I tried to brush it off, but it was really stuck. He doesn't let me turn him over for long, so he wouldn't tolerate me trying anything else like just pulling it off or cutting it off. It isn't alot, but it just isnt healthy :?

Also, I noticed a very pungent smell coming from his genital area which has been getting increasingly worse over time, I am assuming from his scent glands. That area, he refuses to tolerate letting me get near.

I'm worried he could eventually get a UTI or something similar if it builds up too much (although hes already on baytril for the rest of his life, what else can be done huh? :)) - does anybody have suggestions on how I could get them clean, or if a vet will do it for me?? He seems to tolerate vets poking and prodding him but not me :roll: lol.

Last edited:
If you are unable to handle him to clean and check him then you'll have to take him to the Vet to get it done.

Incisorless Rabbits often require daily help with keeping their rear end clean. This is essential to prevent flystrike which can be FATAL :cry:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Your Vet can help teach you how to safely handle your Rabbit and thus enable you to check his rear end daily.
If your Rabbit has started to smell then infection may well be present and this alone warrants a prompt Vet check.

Good luck :)

Thanks - I was a bit worried about infection due to the smell, I'll call the vet tomorrow to book him in asap.

As he is already on baytril twice a day, is there anything else that could be done for an infection?

Last edited:
Thanks - I was a bit worried about infection due to the smell, I'll call the vet tomorrow to book him in asap.

As he is already on baytril twice a day, is there anything else that could be done for an infection?

it could be he needs a differnet antibiotic as some infections will need something stronge ronly a vet can tell really. it could be as you say the scent glands but i would get a vet to check otbe sure. what is the baytril for rest of life for? hope he ok in himself. i would rear gaurd him too as a precaution against fly strike.... and would also see if you can get someone to help you hold him to bath off any excess poop stuck to his bum too. x good luck xx

Firstly you sound like a very loving bunny mommy :love:
Toffee is a cross angora (in my signature) so can sit in his poo and get it stuck to his botty we have a 'trouser clip' where they cut off all his fur surrounding his genitals.
Rear guard can be used a pre caution to flystrike as well.
Xx

Thankyou all for the advice.

Tila is booked in to the vet's groomers tomorrow morning to have a tummy and bum clip and to have his scent glands cleaned. I have asked for his regular vet to assist as he is familiar and calm with her and she has agreed to help.

With a tummy and bum clip he should be a little cooler in this heat too :)

When my Barneyboy had stasis and then the runs I had to give him a botty bath each day just to keep him clean. I popped a towel in the sink so he wouldn't slip, and sat him in just a couple of inches of warm water with oatmeal shampoo in it. He'd sit there on his haunches while I held him and gently poured the soapy water over his belly and botty and gave him a little wash. Then I'd rinse out the sink, pop him back and just rinse him over with clean, warm water.

I only had to do this for a few days though, the fact that Barney is a perfect bun :love: helps too, hehe.

I know bathing buns is not a good idea but sometimes it's the lesser of 2 evils. I'm sure Tila will be fine - he's got a very loving mum on the case ;)

^0^ I picked up Tila from the vets this afternoon and BOY did he smell good!!

He didn't have a bath, just a clip and his scent glands cleaned, but wow, those scent glands must have been jam-packed with pent-up smelly stuff :lol:

My dad is teasing him, calling him "baldy-bum" hahahaha.

Back