• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is she just shy?

Dommy

Warren Scout
i got my first ever rabbit 2 weeks ago, shes SO cute, first day she seemed very friendly lettin me stroke her tho, and i let her settle in her hutch in my room for a couple of days, but she wouldnt let me stroke her after, and she is still like that, she'l come over and sniff my hand and i often lie down by her hutch and she'l sniff me and sit there near me very content and happy lookin, but as soon as i go to stroke her she runs off.

i leave her hutch open so she can roam around my room with my door shut because i do have a dog, my room is rabbit proof u could say, i dnt elave any wires around or anythng, but she wont come out atall.

occasionaly she will let me stroke her, usualy while shes eating, she'l also eat out of my hand if i give her a bit of carrot or broccali.

ive picked her up a few times and she has sat on my lap in the living room sniffs around my lap a bit and lets me stroke her, then she gains a bit of courage and she'l hop along the sofa very curious, and i did so tonight, for about 40 minutes, but tonight she seems even worse and will run away as soon as i go near her hutch

is there any advice tht will encourage her to play about in my room and also not be so fussy about being stroked, shes not scared i dont think, shes fine to have anyone walk around and is extremely curious as to any new people tht wonder into my room

i really dont want her in her hutch all the time of course, i have let her run around my room a couple of times but she'l jump into the hutch first chance she gets

she is 4months old when i got her from a small pet store and is not spayed since she is still young

sorry for the long post hehe :) and thnx

i got my first ever rabbit 2 weeks ago, shes SO cute, first day she seemed very friendly lettin me stroke her tho, and i let her settle in her hutch in my room for a couple of days, but she wouldnt let me stroke her after, and she is still like that, she'l come over and sniff my hand and i often lie down by her hutch and she'l sniff me and sit there near me very content and happy lookin, but as soon as i go to stroke her she runs off.

i leave her hutch open so she can roam around my room with my door shut because i do have a dog, my room is rabbit proof u could say, i dnt elave any wires around or anythng, but she wont come out atall.

occasionaly she will let me stroke her, usualy while shes eating, she'l also eat out of my hand if i give her a bit of carrot or broccali.

ive picked her up a few times and she has sat on my lap in the living room sniffs around my lap a bit and lets me stroke her, then she gains a bit of courage and she'l hop along the sofa very curious, and i did so tonight, for about 40 minutes, but tonight she seems even worse and will run away as soon as i go near her hutch

is there any advice tht will encourage her to play about in my room and also not be so fussy about being stroked, shes not scared i dont think, shes fine to have anyone walk around and is extremely curious as to any new people tht wonder into my room

i really dont want her in her hutch all the time of course, i have let her run around my room a couple of times but she'l jump into the hutch first chance she gets

she is 4months old when i got her from a small pet store and is not spayed since she is still young

sorry for the long post hehe :) and thnx

Sounds like she is getting more and more brave, take it slowly, she might be afraid of your dog, but just do a little bit more each day with her, maybe feed her out of her cage to encourage her to get out.

She could be speyed soon and that might help? But take it slowly and she will soon come out of her shell

My bunny Graham was like that. He would come over to see if I had any food and would eat from my hands but wouldnt let me touch him at all. After his neuter he calmed down a little and we made sure that when we fed him he was only allowed a piece of veg if we were stroking him at the same time. He soon associated touching with a good think and would eventually jump up onto our knee for a cuddle!

oh ok thanks for the replies, she doesnt seem scared of the dog tho, ive let my dog go up and sniff her hutch while it was closed a few times so she can get used to the smell, she even jumped it in yesterday while i had cookie(the rabbit) out with me in the living room, other than that the dog hasnt been near her, ill get her spayed in a couple of months then, also read its better for them because they can get some kind of uterine cancer (or something :S)

oh ok thanks for the replies, she doesnt seem scared of the dog tho, ive let my dog go up and sniff her hutch while it was closed a few times so she can get used to the smell, she even jumped it in yesterday while i had cookie(the rabbit) out with me in the living room, other than that the dog hasnt been near her, ill get her spayed in a couple of months then, also read its better for them because they can get some kind of uterine cancer (or something :S)

yes around 80% of females who dont get neutered get uterine cancer which could be fatal.

ok wil definatly get tht done, the store said she is around 4months, so is 6months a good age?

also she let me pick her up tonight, hehe, she didnt this morning and made a big fuss and tonight she was still scared of me it seemed while she was in her hutch, but i gave her some carrot and stroke her, tried to pick her up but she got a bit scared so had to kind of corner and she let me pick her up without a fuss hehe :)

she just sat on my lap then jumped around the sofa when i went to put her back and pee'd, oh joy :p

Back