• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discovered a lump

Hi All,

Just besides myself with worry about little Bean. We have discovered lump just above where is scabs are from bonding injury! The lump is right in the fold of his neck...is quite red and it flattens when you stretch the skin...there is also fur missing all around it.

Also, his scabs seem to still be firmly attached to his skin? When will they fall off or how can we help him out with them? Will his fur grow back in the bits that it fell out due to injury?

Any advice? Just worried. He seems fine in himself and doesn't flinch when you touch either scabs or lumpy bit!

If it is a wound and it feels like a lump I would say there is high possibility of it being an abcess. Also being in the fold of his neck isn't the most comfortable place for it to heal.

Only a vets can let you know for sure. The sooner the better to prevent long term problems. It may need draining and I would imagine he would need a course of antib's. I hope it's not though, poor bun :(

Can you not get him to a vets in the morning just to be on the safe side?

It may not be, but we cant really tell being online. All I would say is that wounds often do turn into abcesses, especially with buns.

Keep an eye on it and if it does get worse try to find emergency vets tomorrow.

I'd start a new topic on how to keep a wound clean. I'll have a look in some books later.

Could it also be scar tissue? I understand the worry.. and obviously a vet could confirm it and treat it.. but I remember one of my family had some minor surgey on their neck once (insicion), it formed a bump a while after, and they panicked.. but it turned out to be scar tissue.. but try not to worry! (easier said than done) I'm sure the vet will be able to treat it..and as far as posting here goes.. as soon as I think there is a problem with our bun, this is the first place I come running to...

M

Yeah this is true...his scabs seem to be healing fine...its just I discovered the small fold - as I say, when you stretch the skin you can see it anymore or feel it. Just want him to be ok! He is so precious and is only a year old and has just found the love of his life!

I hear ya...they are sooo precious!..and they say animals are good for your blood pressure heh..and are supposed to reduce stress..

maybe rodneyvet could shed some light on it until you can get him to a vet if he catches this post.. and hopefully you will get some more replies too, but you could always phone the vet and see if you can get to speak to one, and just explain over the phone (easier said than done, theyre usually pretty busy) but maybe a nurse even would be able to advise you..

keep up posted though, this forum has been a beacon of light, (it still is)..

M

He is just binkying around now with his playmate truffle...however, my partner, nick just caught him scratching it...maybe he is just irritating the skin and thats whats causing it! Hopefully!!! Oh god - I hate it when I worry so much about him!

It could be, by scratching it etc, he's not really giving it a chance to heal etc.. you could try some searches on the net for info or pics, but often that can create more worry, or just end up even more confusing... I still rekon the best bet would be a vet obviously.. but if he's binkying etc and everything else is ok, maybe it's just annoying him more than anything..but worth checking out none of the less..

and yes.. I never used to be a worrier at all really until I got a house bun, now I'm a proffessional at it..:roll:

I'm not sure the emergency vet would do anything about an abscess unless the rabbit is in distress. They would probably just tell you to take him to your own vets asap.

Yea I think i agree with what Abby said..

apparently from what I read, though I don't know if its the same with absess etc but infection has a bad smell to it, so you might be able to smell something from the wound, though that wouldn't necesarily confirm an absess I don't think.. there are a lot of folk on here who would probably know so hopefully they will come along in a bit and shed some light on it.

but I have used colloidal silver on wounds though it's not something you would probably have laying around, I ordered it for emergency and it's anti bacterial properties, but tea tree oil or lavender is very effective from what I've read though you probably have to dilute it to apply it. so you may be able to get some from an all night chemist or supermarket? if your really really worried and want to get something on it now until you can get to the vets..

I know the dilema/catch22/omg/worry circle though.. it drives me nuts.. you could always just phone the emergecny vet though and just ask..

M

Back