• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating poop?

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Is it normal for a bunny to eat the fully formed hard poop? Parsnip sat in his litter tray today and left behind a pile of about 15 to 20 nicely formed hard poops. He then turned around and proceeded to eat each and every one of them. They definitely were NOT ceacals but the 'finished product'. I've never seen any of mine do this before. Should I be concerned?

It's not uncommon, and as far as I know perfectly healthy/not an indication of ill health in a rabbit that appears generally healthy (I believe if a rabbit appeared/was malnourished it might possibly be a sign as they'd be eating it a second time to try to get maximum nutrition from it).

Deej eats his own poops, not 20 in a go, but plenty through the day (often he does 2 poops, eats one and leaves one on the floor for me to clear up)! :roll:

Squidgy does this. He likes to 'hatch' a big pile then eat the best ones :oops::roll:

A few times i have looked at Billy and he looks really cute chewing on something, then...a poo falls out of his mouth! Gross!:shock:

Thanks very much for this info guys. Makes me feel so much better that I don't have a weird rabbit! He's definitely not undernourished :lol::lol::lol:

That is strange. The only time that I have noticed mine do it is if they had stray poop outside their litter box. They quickly eat it almost like so no one will know that they had an accident outside their box.:D

Back