• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potato plants!

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
:censored: My :censored: parents have gone and planted potato plants in the garden where the buns run, despite me telling them if the buns eat them the will get very sick and die..my dad's response was, why dont wild rabbits die then :? He won't even let me put a fence up to stop them eating them! No more free range time for my lot :cry:

fraid not......they really are not good for buns to eat, ditto tomato plants. In the wild the bunnies have their parents and other members of the warren to steer them away from what is toxic & towards what is good to eat. I imagine that they also be able to sense much more than domestic buns through smell and taste if they should or shouldn't be eating it. Could you not get him to put some chickenwire around them (making sure there is enough distance between the plants & the fence so that the leaves do not poke through.

you might want to show your parent this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

Last edited:
my dad is complete :censored: as well when it comes to the garden. Hes always moaning. Must be a Dad thing :roll: just do your own thing, thats what i do :lol:

:lol::lol: Ive emailed him a list of toxic plants and said if he needs more evidence I'm sure someone on here would write me a statement! :lol:

How long would the fence need to be? Maybe you could just use some temporary plastic fencing whilst the buns are out and roll it up at other times?

Get some cheap netting and roll it over before they go out and off again afterwards :)

I presume your out there with them anyway so its only got to hold them long enough for you to poke um :)

Tam

Im not even allowed a wire fence I can put up and take down :cry: Im also worried about my brothers friends feeding them the leaves when im not there :cry::cry: So now my bunnies are going to be stuck in their runs all the time with no free range... My mum said if i put a fence up they are going to throw me out... I hate living here :cry:

My dad found something online which says that its rarely fatal.. well that makes it ok then :censored::censored: just had a massive argument then they said the bunnies have to go.... so im off to find somewhere else to live tomorow with the bunnies :cry: all this because they want to grow :censored: potato's!!

it's far too early for potatoes :? there's still a risk of frost which could kill the plants off. plus i've never seen potatoe plants for sale???? are they deffo tatas?

it's far too early for potatoes :? there's still a risk of frost which could kill the plants off. plus i've never seen potatoe plants for sale???? are they deffo tatas?

I agree. I never plant mine until end of March/beginning of April time - Easter weekend is traditional potato planting time.

Never seen potato plants either - to grow spuds you plant seed potatoes;)

Jazzy B - hope things work out for you hun.

I'm quite liking the sabotage idea.......you can dig up some of the tuber....go and collect some slugs eggs & put them on the rest & if any do make it up in the next few weeks pour iced water all over them.....if any survive that, go and find some blighted leaves & rub it all over them.....they will soon keel over and die & your parents will get fed up.

you can get potato micro plants of rarer varieties but sounds like these are normal tubors.

Back