• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

separating bonded bunnies?

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone know if this is ok for a temp basis?

Nick is going to take Bailey to the vets on monday to have his incisors burred, but he can't handle alyssa and she is vicious when you have to put her in her carry case...

so he suggested that he take Bailey to the vets, they would only be separated for an hour max... is this possible?!

I'm not sure, but if it was me I wouldnt take the risk of the bond being broken as they will smell strange to eachother. I'm sure other people have done it no problem though? x

I wouldn't risk it - I always take both bunnies. At least that way they both have the same smells and there is less chance of them not recognising eachother when one gets back . . .

I have occassionally taken just one of my bonded buns to the vet and can honestly say that there's been no trouble when the absent bun has benn returned to the hutch or run. Even when Floss had an overnight stay without bournville there was no problem afterwards.

well they seem pretty happy with eachother,

we shall see... he'll have to take him if i can't get off from work early x

if they have a solid bond then an hour should be ok. If only just bonded then I would say no.

theyve been together since november (end of i think) and although it wasn't easy when they came home, they've been getting better... we'll see...

thank you xxx

Give them a bit of something to munch on when he gets home and they will probably not even notice each other were gone! :D

If one of you can stay and fuss the bun left at home you should be OK.

I take Homer every month to the vet without Katy and they get on fine on his return an hour later.

alvin stayed in overnight when he had stasis without pearl.. when he came home she groomed him from head to tail to get rid of the vets smell....they were fine :D:D

eta... they had only been together for 3 months too

When Sorrel goes in for molar burring they won't let me bring Apache too. so they're apart for 24 hours or more, but there's never any trouble when I bring her home.

They're a very loved up couple but there is very occasional humping....in general i mean, not specifically after separation

I had to leave Daisy behind when Fluffy had his dentals,she used to sit by the hutch.We never had any problems afterwards [they always appeared pleased to see each other:D]

Bubbles had to go to the vets without Alfie last month & was in for a few hours. They'd been together for around 3 mths too and everything was fine when Bubbles came home. :)

With a loved up, laid back pair I havn't had an issue with a short seperation, I can split both my current pairs for a few hours and pop them back together easily.

If the bond was strained then I wouldn't risk it personally.

We took Rubens for a dental last month, they were separated from 7.30am-5pm and were fine when Rubens came home. Poor Dilbert was sat feeling sorry for himself all day though.

Back