• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP - my bunny isn't eating.

__dramakid

New Kit
Hey everyone.

My bunny hasn't eaten much in the past few days.
She used to attack her food bowl and finish off everything, but now she won't even touch her food.
I'm not sure what to do to help.
We can't afford a vet; it's too expensive.
I'm really worried about her.. anyone have advice on what to do?
Please reply as soon as possible.

he needs to get to the vets.
cant you take him, then ask the vet if you can pay in installments? xx

Hey everyone.

My bunny hasn't eaten much in the past few days.
She used to attack her food bowl and finish off everything, but now she won't even touch her food.
I'm not sure what to do to help.
We can't afford a vet; it's too expensive.
I'm really worried about her.. anyone have advice on what to do?
Please reply as soon as possible.

Im afraid this is a matter of life and death...

She NEEDS to get to a vet ASAP.

She needs a gut stimulant (metaclopramide) and Painkillers (metacam).

Please take her to the vets NOW.

Why do you have an animal if you're not willing to take it to the vets? It's part of your responsibilty
Sounds like a matter of urgency, if you leave it too late, she may not survive :(

If the vets are expensive, is there a PDSA nearby?
You need to get her to a vet who can do something to help - it's something you really need to be prepared for when taking on any animal.

The treatment for a bun who is not eating is usually a painkiller and gut stimulant. Should cost around £40 including the consultation fee. So shouldn't be too expensive.

Try feeding all the favourite foods and some pellets soaked in water. If they have a blockage however this won't help.

It costs me anywhere between £40 and £50 including consultation to get my bunny treated for stasis!
If you cant afford to take a bunny to the vets, you really shouldnt have one :)

If you cant afford vet bills then I would strongly advise re-homing your bunny to someone who can. It isn't fair on the bunny. Buns should go to the vets every 6 months for a check up and mixy vaccine and every 12 months for a check up and VHD vaccine. If your bun doesnt have these injections then she could very easily die if she gets any of these. If your bunny lives on her own then she must be very lonely :cry: also around 80% of female buns who haven't been neutered get Uterine Cancer. :cry: Please do what is best for your bunny.

if your cant afford it take it to RSPCA and hand her in or give her to somone that can afford it. she does need to see a vet which ever way you do it

you need to get your bun to a vet asap.

i would take your bun to the vet and get her treated and then say you can't pay yet. say you can pay in installments and you had to bring her as it was a life and death matter. you'll find that most vets will be ok with that. i took my buns once and said i couldn't pay yet and they said it's fine and treated them and i then had to sign something to say i would pay asap.

please don't leave her like this though as she won't get better and you will lose her. that's the reality of it.

also, if you need help with paying vets bills contact your local rspca and they may beable to help you.

let us know how you get on and i'm sending loads of vibes for your bunny. :)

First of all, is there any bloat occur on your bun, i.e., an enlarged hard balloon size expansion on the stomach? If not, then for the time being, you need to Force Feeding your bun:

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to survive.

You need to force feed your bun via syringe. If a bun doesn't eat, he will die.

Do the above with an adequate amount of water as well. A bun needs 50 to 100 ml of water per KG. So if your bun is 2 KG, he needs at least 100 ml of water.

In the end, a rabbit not eating can be cause by a large no. of factors. You need to find a vet that accepts some sort of monthly payment from you to solve the health problem of your bun immediately.

Back