• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snoty poo

steph1705

Warren Scout
my rabbit star has got snoty poops,is this normal after being spayed?? if not what causes it?? they are smaller than normal poops:roll:

What do you mean by snotty poop, does it have a jelly like discharge on it? When was your rabbit speyed and is she eating and drinking again yet?

What do you mean by snotty poop, does it have a jelly like discharge on it? When was your rabbit speyed and is she eating and drinking again yet?

she was spayed yesterday,she wasn eating and has been back today for a injection but she has now started eating a little. she started drinking as soon has she came home. its hard to say what it looks like it was a pile of lots of little poops when i picked them up they was held together with stringy snoty/jelly dark coloured goo.

It sounds like where her GI tract has slowed after the operation she is experiencing some inflammtion in her stomach. Do you know if she has been given any of the following at all: Painkiller, Gut Stimulant or Antibiotics?

Is she passing any normal solid round stools in addition to the unformed ceacals (which is what they sound like)?

It's not unusual for a rabbit to experience a GI disturbance post-op and this would be worsened by a reluctance to eat but it is something that needs to be monitored carefully, as it can indicate more serious complications. If you could offer her a probiotic such as Pro-C, AviPro or Bio Lapis that would help restore her good gut flora and improve her digestion.

It sounds like where her GI tract has slowed after the operation she is experiencing some inflammtion in her stomach. Do you know if she has been given any of the following at all: Painkiller, Gut Stimulant or Antibiotics? she had a gut stimulant today at around 2pm she had baytril and metoclopramide yesterdayIs she passing any normal solid round stools in addition to the unformed ceacals (which is what they sound like)?

It's not unusual for a rabbit to experience a GI disturbance post-op and this would be worsened by a reluctance to eat but it is something that needs to be monitored carefully, as it can indicate more serious complications. If you could offer her a probiotic such as Pro-C, AviPro or Bio Lapis that would help restore her good gut flora and improve her digestion.
ok i can do that,do i get that from my vet? she is at the vets tom.
yes she has passed some normal poops

Last edited:
I found that Arnie's first poops when he was coming out of stasis were covered in Mucus and they were normal again albeit a little small by the next day.

I would say as she is now eating it will all start moving along.

Sometimes giving a gut mobility drug on an empty belly doesn't do much, considering there isn't anything to move along. Hence why the digestive system may have produced more mucus to help pass the drugs from the system.

The baytril and metaclop should defo make an effect.

Did you get any baby food down her?

yes i got a little bit in there but i think i got more spat back in my face lol i keep trying but now when i go to her she hides:roll: she didnt like basil or parsley but did eat some dandalions,she has eaten some excel and hay about 5mins ago so thats good,the snotty poop got me worried:roll:

Keep an eye on her poops and hopefully they will be back to normal tomorrow.

The painkillers are probably helping her to eat so if the poos still aren't great tomorrow, providing she has eaten I'd ask for another gut stimulant, otherwise I'd be inclined to just opt for another metaclop and the baytril.

Most females are groggy for a few days - I would say this is pretty normal but the difference is you are being extra vigilant and reporting her progress.

Sounds like she's in safe hands though :)

Keep an eye on her poops and hopefully they will be back to normal tomorrow.

The painkillers are probably helping her to eat so if the poos still aren't great tomorrow, providing she has eaten I'd ask for another gut stimulant, otherwise I'd be inclined to just opt for another metaclop and the baytril.

Most females are groggy for a few days - I would say this is pretty normal but the difference is you are being extra vigilant and reporting her progress.

Sounds like she's in safe hands though :)

just been to the vets she has had some more metoclopramide. she has been eating a little this morning so think she will be fine.:D Thanks for all your help

That's good to hear :D

It does take a fair few days to get their appetite back to normal. I would just keep an eye on those poops but they should be back to normal soon - Now that she is munching stuff :D

Back