• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye U/D pics - any ideas?

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
Hey all,
Have got home to find that one of my rabbits has a localised red swelling at the corner of her left eye. There is no swelling elsewhere (other eye, genitals, etc). Do you think she could have just scratched it?

Last edited:
Hey all,
Have got home to find that one of my rabbits has a localised red swelling at the corner of her left eye. There is no swelling elsewhere (other eye, genitals, etc). Do you think she could have just scratched it?

Can you post a pic of it as its not really possible to say without seeing it

A pic of her other eye then two of her sore one. Doesn't look too bad when I look at the pics so I hope it's just a scratch...

P2160033.jpg

P2160032.jpg

P2160031.jpg

Oh no, that's the first thing I thought too. She is vaccinated though and is also an indoor bun, but I know it can still happen. I'm so worried about my girl:(

you can use natural tear drop on the bunny's eyes, as many times as you want, it's perfectly okay to drop it on his eyes. It does not solve the problem, but the moisture makes their eyes more comfy.

I have use it before on Bernie when there is a piece of fur stuck on his eyes. I drop enough eye drop for it to flush the fur off his eyes.

The brand name I use is called Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

Do blocked tear ducts look like the pics above? Luckily none of my animals have suffered from them so not sure what they look like.

I have checked her all over and she has no other lumps or bumps. If the eye seemed to be hurting her I might try some drops but it doesn't seem to be causing pain... She is herself and is eating, drinking and going to the toilet. In fact, she seems in really good heath as she was a bit of a state when she came to us.

I am just PRAYING she's not somehow caught myxi. I wish it wasn't the weekend or I would have taken her to the vet straight away. Am going to take her in tomorrow so will see what they say. In the meantime if anybody has any suggestions as to what it might be I would really apreciate it if you'd let me know

Back