• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would My Setup Meet Criteria To Adopt Rescue Bun/s?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Having lost Merlin I have been thinking of having another rabbit in the future, as I've got so much love to give & although it would never replace him, it would help fill the gap that losing him has left in my life.
So..I have been thinking about possibly adopting rescue bun/s. As I've never done this before I wondered if my setup would be approved or not, as from looking at some rescue sites their criteria seems to vary.

I have a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft 2-tier hutch that is within a 8ft x 6ft cabin (cabin has stable doors/wire netted long door/opening windows). So internally within the cabin there is the hutch with a 5ft 6in x 5ft 6in floor space in front of it for permanent 'run' access.
Also there is a large run in the garden for supervised access (as we occasionally have foxes & large birds of prey visit the garden).
Would my setup get approval?

Also is it always the case that rescue buns are rehomed in pairs? I appreciate that rabbits like company but Merlin was never without this although he was an only bun, as most of the time there is someone out & about in the garden.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts as I do feel I could offer a good forever home.

You should be able to find a rescue that will let you adopt a pair of bunnies as the setup should be big enough :) The first one you try doesn't always agree, sometimes they don't like double hutches or have other rules, but keep trying as each rescue has different requirements.

If you provide them with photos it might make it easier for them to judge.

Personally I would suggest speaking to a local rescue about the accomodation you have and if they have any specific requirements that they normally have. Also discuss with them about the type of rabbits that you are looking for and also what they have available.

From a straight forward point of view your accomodation sounds fine, however the finer requirements such as bolts, a decent mesh etc would be worth looking at first. Other pertinent questions would be do you have an inner mesh door on your shed if you are leaving the bunnies to have access to this space as predators can climb over a stable door. There are many other considerations worth thinking about including the type of bedding you use, some rescues will not rehome to people using shavings. Type of food you are planning to feed etc.

Other important issues are if you are renting do you have written permission from your landlord to have animals ...

Having lost Merlin I have been thinking of having another rabbit in the future, as I've got so much love to give & although it would never replace him, it would help fill the gap that losing him has left in my life.
So..I have been thinking about possibly adopting rescue bun/s. As I've never done this before I wondered if my setup would be approved or not, as from looking at some rescue sites their criteria seems to vary.

I have a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft 2-tier hutch that is within a 8ft x 6ft cabin (cabin has stable doors/wire netted long door/opening windows). So internally within the cabin there is the hutch with a 5ft 6in x 5ft 6in floor space in front of it for permanent 'run' access.
Also there is a large run in the garden for supervised access (as we occasionally have foxes & large birds of prey visit the garden).
Would my setup get approval?

Also is it always the case that rescue buns are rehomed in pairs? I appreciate that rabbits like company but Merlin was never without this although he was an only bun, as most of the time there is someone out & about in the garden.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts as I do feel I could offer a good forever home.

Tracy at the RNGP Welfare is quite close to you and I am sure she could give you some really good advice and help, please give her a ring on 01788 335585

That sounds as if it would meet our requirements.:D.and we have some pairs who have been with us a long time and are desperate for a home

We also have a couple of singletons

please e mail me at Honeybunnysr@aol.com for more info on our bunnies..not all of them are listed on RR :D

Thanks everyone for your replies :thumb:

Snowy Thank you for that - I shall get in touch with her.

That sounds as if it would meet our requirements.:D.and we have some pairs who have been with us a long time and are desperate for a home
We also have a couple of singletons
please e mail me at Honeybunnysr@aol.com for more info on our bunnies..not all of them are listed on RR :D

I shall be emailing you later honeybunny :)

Back