• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do they love head rubs do so much???

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
like what is it about a head rub for bunnies, why do they love them so much and get annoyed when you stop? :lol:

I think it's because it's the only area that they can't groom themselves so they want you to do it for them :)

but they really love you putting pressure on the rub, i laugh at them holding their head higher and moving into the rub. :lol:

As Im sort of new to bunnies what is the exact description of a nose rub! I stroke mine with the back of 3 fingers up their nose to their head. With cats Ive had I used to rub the whisker areas as well, do bunnies like that? I cant figure out if mine do or not, or whether they just stay still waiting for the long strokes again?!

I'm sure I read about how it's basically bigging up their ego. :lol: They've got this whole complicated system where you must be ALLOWED to 'groom'/give a nose rub, and in being allowed you're meant to be very complimented. It keeps their self-esteem up or something... I printed a whole bunch of stuff off this amusing, but very informative, website once! Really need to find that link to send to a friend of mine. :lol:

But I imagine it must feel good, too. One of mine is moulting all along his nose, and he loves it when I pluck the loose fur free. ^^ Get lots of happy tooth-purring if I get it just right, or a melty bunny.

As Im sort of new to bunnies what is the exact description of a nose rub! I stroke mine with the back of 3 fingers up their nose to their head. With cats Ive had I used to rub the whisker areas as well, do bunnies like that? I cant figure out if mine do or not, or whether they just stay still waiting for the long strokes again?!

My rabbit loves underneath his eyes being stroked aswell as his nose and also his ears being stoked the whole way along and around his neck. I think that they'll let you know they don't like it and if they are staying still beside you when you are stroking them you are doing all the right things! :)

Penny 'Pocket' luurves her head rubs. The more vigorous the better. My OH thinks I'm hurting her sometimes but she loves it and goes in an **** when I stop! The more vigorous the better!

My bun LOVES nose rubs, especially if i rub my nose on his! He also tries to stick his nose right up mine too, any ideas why he does this?

Back