• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone ID my bunny for me?

Tinkefski

New Kit
We got a bit of a shock the other night when we came home, there was fur all over and we thought she had just shed her winter coat, then noticed movement. On further investigation we realised there were little pink things moving - BABIES!!!!

We would like to know what breed of rabbit ours is, she was sold as a dwarf english lop (but she is huge, not much smaller than the cat!), the dad is a lionhead and obviously want to know what she is for advertising reasons.

Please see link below for pic.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/lokkochaa/DSC00184.jpg

Thanks

i am not sure what breed she is but she is definatly not a lop because her ears are up-right. :shock: she looks like a cross breed but im sure someone on here will have a better idea than me.

She is a cross breed by the look of her
I would get your male neutered ASAP to prevent more babies..and the little ones must stay with mum ..but NOT dad...for 8 weeks

Piccies would be nice when they are a bit older:D

Agouti Butterfly doe.
What do you mean advertising reason :shock::shock:
Please ensure homes will be homechecked and they will not live on their own, but with a pair in a 6ft x 2 x 2ft rabbit hutch will full access to a run daily.

thanks

Thank you for the info received so far. Mum and dad are seperate, both in huge hutches and babies are with mum, so I have no worries there she is a great bun and the fact she did this on her own amazes us.

We will certainly only be advertising the babies and not sure at the mo how many we will have adopted as we want to keep them all at the minute, but they will only be going in pairs where possible and to loving family homes such as ours, as all our friends are so interested it may be we keep them in the 'family'

Pics will be available once we can see them, as we are not disturbing them at all for now and just letting Squish do her stuff. If you would be interested and can collect (live nearby) please let me know.
Thanks so much again and if anyone else can give me a difinitive answer to her breed, it would be greatly appreciated :wave:

I'd say she's most definately a cross. Probably with a dwarf lop as that colouring is very common for them. Where did she come from? I think English and dwarf lop is a popular cross for pet stores so could be that.

http://www.thebrc.org/english.htm

http://www.thebrc.org/dwarf.htm

This is what she'd look like if she was what she'd been sold as.
PC250014.JPG

Dwarf lops are pretty big as the dwarf part refers to the ear length and not body size. English lops however are the ones with really really long ears. :) Hope this helps some.

Good luck with the babies!

Awwww mum looks like my bunny Big, I didn't know what she was either but an Agouti butterfly sounds nice :D

Good luck with the babies you will need to seperate the sexes at 14 weeks, be on the safe side an get the vet to sex, it's really difficult.

Rabswood

:wave: shes very pretty i love her ears.:love:

agouti butterfly just means agouti fur which is three bands of colour in one hair if you look really closely..usually with the tip being the lightest colour. Butterfly because their markings on their face should be kinda mask like and look like a butterfly.

my bif has almost butterfly wings on her shoulders..shes a little rescue bun about the size of a very small dwarf lop......a bit bigger than a mini lop....
when she gets stressed she can put her ears upright!

Please be aware dad must be kept away from mum as soon as shes given birth she can become pregnant again right away:( not good for her or her babies:(

I am glad you seem to have homes set up..i remember eyars ago it happend to our female cat who was on hormones to stop ehr coming into season as she had to be delayed being spayed to clear up a terrible patch of allergic eczema on her shoulder which she was almsot chewing off! not ocmeinto season..pah! she got pregnant and then they said only 3 kits as shes so little..um 5 kittens later......we kept one and i ofund good homes for the other two pairs and i was very very lucky......
i hope you can have as much luck;)
pics please..i lurve little buns

The dad is in a seperate hutch, so worry not he wont be getting anywhere near her or the babies.

Mum has uncovered them a bit today so can actually see them seem to be doing well, little pink things with black markings, wonder i they will have the mothers markings and a "lionhead" :) that would be cool.

Will post pics as soon as i can get close to them

once he is neutered adn she is speyed they can go back together and live happily (note males are fertile up to 6weeks after spay. im sure the abbies will be gorgoeus. yes homechecks on randoms are always hard especially if you have to say no to someone if selling them in pairs ensue they have all been neutered first even if same sex pairs else they could fall out as they reach sexual maturity... and also it stops someone else breeding them and also stops the females from getting uterine cancer. and certaintyl dont let any go before 8 weeks they still neeed mum till then. at 12 weeks seperate boys and girls too and it is easier to rehome buns if they have had their vaccinations already too. you could also do up a care sheet to give to new ownersa bout diet and space that they need as well as all the social issues good luck with the new family x

Dad has ALWAYS been in a seperate hutch, he just managed to escape for one minute while cleaning them out and the rest is history, he has no access to mum or the babies AT ALL!!!!!!

I only wanted to know what type of rabbit she is to be honest, we are fully aware in how to care for them as we have had them for years just have never had kits before. I appreciate your concerns but worry not!

They seem more lively today and are big!!! one rolled out the fur and rolled back in was prob about 4/5 inches long already!

If you have had the rabbits for years then it might now be time for them to get neutered so that they can live together. Now that mine are all happily bonded I would never subject a single bunny to living alone again.

Back