• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

varnishing inside hutch ?

tickles

Mama Doe
Now spring is getting here i want to top and tail the hutches.Is it safe to varnish inside or paint it as i see p'h have a paint in??.
Also can anyone reccommend a good disenfectant.Virkon i here is good x

I don't think varnish is safe. I would use a wood stain or paint. The P@H wood stain is quite good, I have used it on a hutch myself. I've also used Cuprinol Garden Shades paints which are safe for animals.

Virkon is very good. It is a disinfectant that we use in our laboratories. It is safe to use for rabbits, even rats can tolerate it, and they are much more susceptible to respiratory problems.
The only problems with virkon is that, be careful with your clothes, if it splashes on you, it tends to stain them pink!

Thanks guys for that i now will hunt some down and have a good clean out soon.

What colour does the p@h one look like please x

i buy my disinfectant from P@H, specifically the green Johnson's Family one. There are other types too at P@H. Virkon I should say, you have to keep making up, as its only good for 1 week. I also dont like the smell of it, it smells weird. The Johnsons one at P@H is my fav.

I use exterior/yacht varnish on hutch floors sometimes. Just make sure you don't use it where they might chew, and make sure you leave it to dry for a few days before putting the buns back in.

Back