• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HUGE Pest Problem - Please help!

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
Although I clean out the hutches regularly, they have been infested with nests of cockroaches. Every time I lift the lid, open the door or shuffle bedding, I get all these little dirty ******* running everywhere!
They are becoming quite the problem - Tila gets spooked by them crawling around at night, and Ginger's hutch is much worse than his. They are also beginning to infest our house - which we are having sprayed hopefully soon.
Does anybody know of something I can use to get rid of the roaches without poisoning Tila and Ginger (besides just trying to squash them all :roll:)?

Oh no, these are pain to get rid of, they literaly stay in the areas they find. They know food and wramth is about so wont happily move.

Is there any way you can move your htches to another area ofthe garden for a while, further down other end maybe? Completly gut the cage and scrub with disinfectent when doing that.

For the house, I think you would need to call pest control, enviromental health?

God i would freak like anything,I am petrified of buggy things.

Hopefuly someone will come along with better advice, I dont know what you can do thats for safe for the buns other than move the hutches away from the area?

Thankyou for the suggestion but to be honest, there isn't any point in moving them to another area of the yard :lol: they get moved every two weeks, and i gut and scrub at the same time, and I haven't noticed any relation to position in the yard and number of roaches (or maybe I could be blind ^-^).
We are planning pest control soon - the council is planning repairs on our house which will disturb them all, so will hopefully make the pesticide more effective if they're all moving over it.
This whole area of houses has a big roach problem >_O due to humid weather, and living near the bush :(

While cleaning his hutch out today, I also noticed Tila has an 'earwig' problem, are they harmful?

Last edited:
you could try removing all bedding and putting towels down or lino tiles on the flooring to see if that puts the cockroaches off, the earwigs are another pest and their very hard to get rid of and kill. their not particularly harmful to them, i would just check their ears regularly to make sure none have got into them.

Tila will have lino in his new hutch - we also have lino tiles in our house and the roaches think they are quite handy for breeding under where the corners are lifting. :( I'm sorry if I seem like I am knocking back all suggestions - I appreciate them very much.

Does anyone know of any (possibly organic?) agents that cockroaches/earwigs don't like, but aren't harmful to animals? I stopped slaters with a 'stop chew' agent for dogs, diluted on vet's advice, however it hasn't deterred the other insects.

I have found a suggestion on the internet of sprinkling baking soda - the salt apparently dehydrates the roaches when they clean themselves. Will this harm the rabbit/piggie if they happen to lick a little bit up?

Edit: Have also found a suggestion for boric acid/borax powder, apparently non-toxic to humans and animals?? This one I'm not too eager to trust yet though, anyone with some experience with boric acid?

Last edited:
Tila will have lino in his new hutch - we also have lino tiles in our house and the roaches think they are quite handy for breeding under where the corners are lifting. I'm sorry if I seem like I am knocking back all suggestions - I appreciate them very much.

Does anyone know of any (possibly organic?) agents that cockroaches/earwigs don't like, but aren't harmful to animals? I stopped slaters with a 'stop chew' agent for dogs, diluted on vet's advice, however it hasn't deterred the other insects.

no worries, sounds awful, theres really nothing you can do to get rid of the earwigs, i'm really not sure about the baking soda. might be worth ringing a pest control and getting some advice from them. are you in the USA?

No, I live in Australia, gotta love our roach-breeding climate :lol:

The worst part is theyre not big bush roaches - those would be fine. Its those German roaches that Just. Dont. Go. Away. :?

I don't know anything about cockroaches, but with most pests the best advice is to never leave food around, and clean up any spilled food straight away.

aw i watch all those animal cops houston/detroit etc programs and i see the houses all the time over run with them, must be a real nightmare, specially if you do keep a place clean like yourself. really feel for you. wish i could help you more. i'm sure it grosses your bunnies out, i remember going out one night to see my bunnies and heard all this suffling in the hutch and called my husband to bring out a torch and there was earwigs crawling all over my buns food, i was disgusted.

The earwigs tend to stay under the edges of the hutch where it is moist - they aren't too much of a problem but I know the roaches spook Tila. We often hear him thumping and I have actually seen him digging and kicking at some. I wish the ******* weren't so resilient.

I saw a suggestion for peppermint oil. Might be worth a try, would even make his hutch smell fantastic - he loves mint!! :D

After reading many different sources, there is a debate as to whether Boric Acid is toxic to animals or not.

I think I'll be safe and assume it is.

I think I may try spraying the cage with peppermint oil, will this harm them at all? I know it can make cats sick if they ingest too much.

Back