• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny nose...

cheryl21

Warren Scout
Stella has got a runny nose - it is matting all her fur. She doesnt seem poorly in herself and is eating and running around as normal. I have had her to the vets twice and she has had 2 courses of antibiotics. It cleared up after the second lot (at least I think it did - Buddy is very good at cleaning her!!!) but has now returned:(.

She also has problems with her teeth and eyes - 3 of her front teeth dont grow, while the fourth grows incredibly quick (she does see the vet regularly for this)!! Her tear ducts are blocked so she has runny eyes, I have had her to the vet several times about this but it doesnt seem to be able to be sorted. He thinks that the roots of her teeth are blocking the tear ducts and short of taking her teeth out there's not a lot we can do. Buddy cleans her eyes and her nose but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions - particularly about the runny nose? I feel really sorry for her - I wish she wasnt so sickly :cry:

The runny nose is probably related to the elongated tooth roots

Have skull radiographs been taken to see which tooth roots are causing problems?

Sometimes a very long course of antibiotics is required to get on top of the infection, several weeks in some cases.

What antibiotics has your Bun had ?

I cant remember what they were called - I had to give her 0.8mls twice a day. The first time was for a week, then 2 weeks. Unfortunately, she hasn't had an x-ray. the vets said she would need a GA to do this and she doesnt do too well afterwards, and I'm not sure I could afford it at the moment (although I would try to do anything for her:love:!!!)

I feel so sorry for her, the only consolation is that Buddy looks after her and cleans her well:love:.

If she were to take a longer course, would that not upset her tummy?

I don't know what to do for the best as she seems ok, but we all know how quickly that can change :(

Back