• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My bunny has stopped eating!

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
I noticed this evening that Flo wasn't her usual self around feeding time. She usually is by your feet scrambling to get to the food, whereas tonight, she just sat under the table not interested at all. When her food was ready I couldn't get her to have any. I've even tried giving her carrot and damson tree sticks (her fave) but she just turns away. I've also noticed that she is sitting funny and also kicking her legs out a lot when she gets up. She just seems generally cheesed off and uncomfortable. She's had a little water but nothing else. She's also scratching her ears a lot. I don't know if this might be related?

Any help/ advice I would be most grateful.
Thank you Sam xx.

PS I rang the vet who said try giving her some pineapple juice with a syringe. She didn;t like that at all and moved away kicking her back legs. Apart from that she suggested ringing back inthe morning.

She really needs to see a vet and get some pain relief and gut stimulant.Bunnies not eating go down hill rapidly:cry:
Sending tons of vibes.

I normally get mine straight to the vet if they are stretching out and uncomfortable as it is a sign they are in pain. Might be best to call the vet again and say he won't take pineapple and you are very concerned. Tomorrow is a long time to wait if your bunny is in pain, needs to see a vet asap.

Is your bunny pooping OK.

I noticed this evening that Flo wasn't her usual self around feeding time. She usually is by your feet scrambling to get to the food, whereas tonight, she just sat under the table not interested at all. When her food was ready I couldn't get her to have any. I've even tried giving her carrot and damson tree sticks (her fave) but she just turns away. I've also noticed that she is sitting funny and also kicking her legs out a lot when she gets up. She just seems generally cheesed off and uncomfortable. She's had a little water but nothing else. She's also scratching her ears a lot. I don't know if this might be related?

Any help/ advice I would be most grateful.
Thank you Sam xx.

PS I rang the vet who said try giving her some pineapple juice with a syringe. She didn;t like that at all and moved away kicking her back legs. Apart from that she suggested ringing back inthe morning.

Keep her warm and phone another vet. If she's going into G.I. stasis which sounds likely, she needs painkillers and something to stimulate her gut.

Just got back from emergency vets. They said they can feel a small pea sized lump in her abdomen and want us to take her to our own vets in the morning for an xray. The vet gave Flo a painkiller and gut stimulant. She does look more comfortable now and has had quite a lot to drink since we've been back but still no poos/ wees, or eating food - not even the sachet we were given by the vet. i'm beside myself with worry and I don't know what to do. Please help.

Keep tempting her with juicy and leafy things for now: dandelions, grass, spring greens and herbs are good. Maybe offer a bit of apple or pear. Good luck at the vets tomorrow.Did the give you fibreplex and recovery?

They gave her metacam, metoclopromide and supreme recovery. I've tried pineapple juice, parsley, broccoli and carrot but she just turns away. Really don't know what to do.

Im in the same boat as you right now with my boy :(
he hasnt eaten in 2 days except for some basil leaves 2night and a bromelain tablet and with no poop in 24hrs :cry: Im thinking either bloat or a blockage but nothing can be done until tomorrow as the emergency vet was useless :(

If you have basil try one leaf as its a strong smell and all my buns seem to eat it when ill or upset :)
Sending vibes for flo to start eating and pooping xx

Try soaking some pellets in water for a while and then offering them to her soggy. I don't know why but for some reason they seem to go for this sometimes :)

she has just had a little bit of carrot and a tiny bit of babycorn but wont touch anything else, not even the recovery food the vet gave us which I presume is like pellets mashed into water?
She keeps going to her tray as if she wants to poo/ wee, but has only had a little wee and still no poo.

They gave her metacam, metoclopromide and supreme recovery. I've tried pineapple juice, parsley, broccoli and carrot but she just turns away. Really don't know what to do.

Sounds like she's had the right treatment for now anyway. Keeping her hydrated is as important as eating, and if she's had a good long drink, that's a good sign.
Dandelion leaves and grass can often tempt them.
Make her move around a bit too - it may seem cruel, but it will stimulate her gut into moving.
Does she have teeth problems at all? Just trying to think about why she may have stopped eating?
Hope she feels better soon.

She had her teeth checked at the emergency vets and they said they were fine. She has been drinking more than usual this last hour, so am pleased with that. Would just like to see more coming out the other end! Does pineapple help?

She does have a tendency to chew and eat a lot of cardboard, and is actually starting to do it again now! Could that be what the lump is that the vet felt do you think?

I would say that is a good sign, not sure if it matters that she isn't eating the recovery food but at least she is getting something and the poos are a good sign too.

Best of luck at the vets tomorrow, I imagine you are in for a sleepless night and I really do hope everything turns out ok for you.

I am sure that your prompt action will be key to getting her the right treatment and it is probably the stuff she got from the emergency vet that has helped her pick up a little.

Will be thinking of you both and wishing you all the best.

What shall I do if she wont start eating?

easy. YOu forcefeed the bun

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the
blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to survive.

You need to force feed your bun via syringe. If a bun doesn't eat, he will die.

I just went through the exact same thing with one of our bunnies.

If there's a blockage I don't know if you can safely syringe feed the rabbit. Here's some advice I've give for somebody who hasn't been through it before and what helped me the most.

- Everybody will give you different advice, and almost all of them will act like their way is the only possible way and many will treat you like you're inferior or stupid if you haven't done things their way. Remember that the most important thing is finding out what works for your bunny and you and seeing it through.

- Find experts, and listen carefully, stick to the facts that are agreed on, and keep an open mind. Remember that sometimes vets aren't experts, and sometimes people who've kept rabbits for years also aren't experts.

The facts I've found that seem to correlate are these;

- If a rabbit stops eating, it dies very quickly.
- Pain releif is important, even if the vet says that it isn't.
- Syringe feeding a rabbit is horrible, hard, stressful work and they will fight you long and hard. If you have to syringe feed, persevere and find a routine that works best. You can do lots of small feeds or a couple of bigger ones.
- Assess your rabbits diet and find out what could be causing or contributing to the stasis - if there's a blockage it could be a hairball or it could be something else. You need to find out.

Here are the things I would recommend (having tried every remedy in a list of over 50 ideas)

- Go to the chemist, buy some electrolyte replacer and some medicine for gas in babies.
- Go to the vet and buy a critical care powder or pellets. If you can't get this (it's hard to find in new zealand), get hay (timothy hay in america, meadow hay over here), plus pumpkin high quality rabbit pellets (no seeds or corn or grains).
- Get a syringe you can easily work with one hand - I found about 20mls is a good start though this will vary.
- Go to the supermarket, buy pineapple and kiwifruit, and jam if you haven't got it at home.

Your rabbit needs several things foodwise right now -

- Fluids
- Electrolytes
- High fibre food (if there's no blockage)
- Energy
- Something to break up the blockage and get the gut moving

Pineapple juice is thought to be good for breaking up hairballs and acting as a laxative, kiwifruit is lesser known but has similar properties in humans and the vets I've spoken to said it wasn't harmful to try it. Just make sure you squeeze the juice yourself, canned or bottled is often not fresh enough or has added sugar.

If you can't get the critical care, grab the pellets, the pumpkin and the hay, crush and blend it up till it's as fine as you can get it. The finer it is the easier it is to feed.

Mix up the kiwifruit and pineapple juice with the electrolyte replacer and a little water.

To begin with since there's a blockage I'd recommend feeding the juices and electrolyte replacer seperately. If the blockage can be shifted then mix up the hay and pellets with water and syringe feed them also. My vet told me I needed to get a minimum of 100mls a day into my rabbit (that's food based stuff though), so I'd talk to yours about quantity of liquids, if you could get 50mls of that liquid into your bunny you'd be making a start.

There's some good articles around on syringe feeding a rabbit, but the goal is to keep their system going until the gut starts moving on it's own. Basically, aim for just behind their front teeth, not down their throat. Holding onto an unwilling rabbit is a mission and a half, it helps to have somebody else there, try to wrap the bunny up in a towel and stop them from thrashing, they can hurt themselves. Never squirt more than a half ml at a time onto their tongue and let them swallow each time.

Something I find helps is to give them a tummy rub, the vets probably know more about this than me but I just started with gentle circular movements with my hand under him and gradually massaged his stomach more firmly, not too hard though, and ease up if they show signs of pain.

It would also be a good idea to put some electrolyte replacer into the bunny's water in case she drinks on her own, I'd also add the pineapple and kiwi fruit juice to it as well.

Also, offer her a bowl of water and some pellets mushed up with water, sometimes it's easier for them to just lap at something liquid than reaching for a bottle.

The ordeal with our bunny lasted about five days, so be prepared for the long haul. Expect feeds to take about half an hour each, and expect to be very tired, get as much help as you can.

I also found jam is a good way of giving them medicines, it suspends the crushed up pills nicely and some bunnies seem to like the taste.

The others here can give you much more information and advice than I can, these have just been my experiences.

thank you all for your advice so far. flo is eatin much better on her own today and is pooing, although not as much as usual. We will still take her to the vets today as I wont rest until I find out what this 'lump' might be (i'm hoping she's passed whatever it is). Will keep you updated folks, you have all been great, thank you so much xx.

I'm glad your bun is feeling better. Sorry I would have liked to offered more support last night but the BF wanted his computer back.

Back