• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis

DoctorPhil

New Kit
Horace, our 9 month old dwarf lop went to bed last night after a good meal of leafy green herbs and hay, his usual cheerful self. This morning, he wouldn't eat anything, and has spent the day trying and failing to get comfortable, straining in his litter tray, and generally looking miserable.

I've just taken him to the vet, who said it looks like GI stasis, and has given him painkiller and GI motility agent injections (metacam and metoclopromide). He looks a little more comfortable now (Horace, that is, not the vet), and has eaten a tiny bit of watercress and had a few sips of water.

I can't believe how quickly this has come on. I did treat him with spot-on Ivermectin yesterday for a case of suspected ear mites, which the vet confirmed today (and confirmed that my treatment was fine and appropriate). Is it possible that this has something to do with it, or just coincidence? He has also just started a heavy moult, which I wonder may also be connected.

Any ideas how long it should take before he starts to show some improvement following the injections? I have also brought back some recovery food sachets and a pipette, but I'm hoping he'll start eating of his own accord so I don't have to use these.

Vibes and good advice welcome please!

Sending lots of vibes.
I do think it may be a coincidence with the spot on.
I am sure he will start eating shortly,it doesn,t take long usually after the injections he has had.

If he has already eaten something since getting back from the vets then you just need to keep that up - try giving him lots of tempting food to make sure he gets back to normal. Cooled boiled water from a bowl should help too - especially if its a fur in his tummy problem, this will hydrate the contents and keep things moving along.

Important thing is that he eats by himself. Encouraging him to hop about too is a good idea.

You should see an improvement in a few hours though. Keep us updated!!

Poor Horace :cry:

Ear mites may actually be the cause of his stasis. Any physiological stress can cause a reduction in GI motility which can lead to GI stasis.
The fact that he is eating a little is good news and I would try to encourage him to drink as much as possible. It is important to keep the ingesta within the guts well hydrated to minimise the risk of impactation.
Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than a bottle. If he is an outdoor Bun it would be a good idea to bring him in as poorly Rabbits struggle to maintain their body temperature.

If he is having a heavy moult daily grooming will help reduce the amount of fur he ingests.

Hopefully now he has started to nibble food it wont be too long befor some poos are produced. Encouraging him to hop about will also help promote gut motility.

Hope Horace is soon fully recovered :)

Horace's appetite seems to have returned as quickly as it disappeared, and poo has been forthcoming.

Thanks for the replies and best wishes. Fingers crossed that he is on the mend now.

Back