• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with runny eyes & sore mouth

Sue110

New Kit
Hi , just joined today:wave:

Our bunny Jerry is 4 years old and always been sickly . (We bought the rabbit that had been beaten up by all the other rabbits and was separated in a cage on his own, looking well past his sell by date.)

Needless to say he has not been a well bunny and we have nursed him back to health many times. We were told he was probably born with pasteurella - has lots of weepy eyes, snuffles etc.

We had his teeth done a few months ago as the vet could see his mouth was red inside and he had antibiotics. He was ok for a couple of months then we had to take him back - another anaethsetic as they thought it was his teeth but were told afterwards his teeth were fine and had more antiobitics.

We thought he had a sore mouth again, vet said it looked a little red and gave him anti inflamatories and yet more Baytril, which we have finished. His eye now looks a little weepy. It seems to me that this is not being followed up properly all we have is more antibiotics and no real follow up.

I am really tempted to try something like Golden Eye for a few days to see if his eye improves - if not I'll take him back to the vet. Surely endless antibiotics will do him no favours in the long run?

Does any one have experience of alternative remedies that may help?

Sue

Hi , just joined today:wave:

Our bunny Jerry is 4 years old and always been sickly . (We bought the rabbit that had been beaten up by all the other rabbits and was separated in a cage on his own, looking well past his sell by date.)

Needless to say he has not been a well bunny and we have nursed him back to health many times. We were told he was probably born with pasteurella - has lots of weepy eyes, snuffles etc.

We had his teeth done a few months ago as the vet could see his mouth was red inside and he had antibiotics. He was ok for a couple of months then we had to take him back - another anaethsetic as they thought it was his teeth but were told afterwards his teeth were fine and had more antiobitics.

We thought he had a sore mouth again, vet said it looked a little red and gave him anti inflamatories and yet more Baytril, which we have finished. His eye now looks a little weepy. It seems to me that this is not being followed up properly all we have is more antibiotics and no real follow up.

I am really tempted to try something like Golden Eye for a few days to see if his eye improves - if not I'll take him back to the vet. Surely endless antibiotics will do him no favours in the long run?

Does any one have experience of alternative remedies that may help?

Sue

Hello

Did the Vet take skull radiorgaphs of your Bunny? The problems you are describing sound very much like elongated tooth roots. This can only be diagnosed by Xrays. Elongated tooth roots can press on and subsequently block the nasolacrimal ducts causing 'runny eyes' and secondary bacterial infections. Sometimes a big plug of pus forms in the duct and this needs to be flushed out. However, if the duct tissue is very scarred or if the tooth root elongation is advanced then 'runny eyes' may be a lifelong problem that will require daily management and antibiotic treatment when necessary.

I would not use any 'over-the-counter' bought eye treatments without consulting your Vet again.

I'll ask a Mod to move this thread to 'Health' as more people will see it there.
Good luck and please keep us updated

:wave:

Back