• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike - remember we are coming up to that season, lets keep vigilant

I found some cocoons yesterday, but nothing on the buns themselves

Please make sure you regularly check your buns this spring and summer, I don't want to hear any flystrike bad news this year, ok ?:lol:

I hate flies!:evil:.
We have house buns but im really paranoid when any window/door is open.

My o/h makes me fly screens to stick on the window. Its made from mesh (i choose pink) and stuck between two pieces of plastic and it sticks to the window (dont ask me how).

If anyone wants will get my o/h to post on how to make them. Sorry if thats gone mad but files seem to be my nemissis:oops::lol:
x

I hate flies!:evil:.
We have house buns but im really paranoid when any window/door is open.

My o/h makes me fly screens to stick on the window. Its made from mesh (i choose pink) and stuck between two pieces of plastic and it sticks to the window (dont ask me how).

If anyone wants will get my o/h to post on how to make them. Sorry if thats gone mad but files seem to be my nemissis:oops::lol:
x

I hate flies with a vengence

I think I am gonna put fly paper in the greenhouse to reduce the numbers this summer

one of my buns has a twisted spine, and cannot groom himself properly, so he is definately on the "at risk" register

so rearguard and fly paper are must haves this year

It can happen to clean bunnies too..

My teddy sat under a bush on a damp humid day late last summer, He had sat there for about three hours and during that time he had a ridiculous number of fly eggs laid on him, some of which had hatched, so it just shows how quickly it can happen. I check bums every morning and evening, but it really does escalate quickly if it is a hot day.

I saw a couple of flies around Hunny & Mustard's hutch yesterday. They are naughty bunnies, they throw all the newspaper out of their hutch and poo and wee on the wood. I have to scrub it every day and get really paranoid - thanks for the reminder for extra vigilance.

Rearguarded and spotlessly clean! :thumb:

Please though, even if you use rearguard - don't become complacent. My vet says she sees rabbits that have been 'rearguarded' still getting flystrike, because although it will kill the eggs if they are laid within a rearguarded area, it doesn't stop them from hatching elsewhere, so your bun can still get flystrike..it's unlikely that the liquid will get right into all the nooks and crannies of your bunnies 'bits' or around any wet patches or open wounds (and in fact you probably wouldn't want those chemicals getting onto skin like that!), and this is where it is more likely as flies are attracted to the damp bits.

I'm not saying don't use it - each case on its own merits - but personally I think it can lull you into a false sense of security, and believe that in healthy bunnies, there isn't really any substitute for clean dry accommodation, fly screens if possible, and daily bum checks :)

Ah right, so i can't order some from the website?

No you have to see the vet first to get a prescription that will cost money, you can then order online and post the prescription to the online company, once they receive it they will send out the order. Your vet may still need to see your bunny to get the prescription and for something so small it may end up costing you more to buy online, much easier just to get from the vets :)

Please though, even if you use rearguard - don't become complacent. My vet says she sees rabbits that have been 'rearguarded' still getting flystrike, because although it will kill the eggs if they are laid within a rearguarded area, it doesn't stop them from hatching elsewhere, so your bun can still get flystrike..it's unlikely that the liquid will get right into all the nooks and crannies of your bunnies 'bits' or around any wet patches or open wounds (and in fact you probably wouldn't want those chemicals getting onto skin like that!), and this is where it is more likely as flies are attracted to the damp bits.

I'm not saying don't use it - each case on its own merits - but personally I think it can lull you into a false sense of security, and believe that in healthy bunnies, there isn't really any substitute for clean dry accommodation, fly screens if possible, and daily bum checks :)

Very true. Must admit I only use it on my special needs buns that have incontinence issues or mobility problems just as an extra precaution, checking your bunny over regularly is far more important than relying on lotions

Very true. Must admit I only use it on my special needs buns that have incontinence issues or mobility problems just as an extra precaution, checking your bunny over regularly is far more important than relying on lotions

Totally agree:thumb:

Good warnings from everyone.....

I had a rabbit with slightly finer fur. I always got the hair trimmed neatly around his back legs and bottom and used rear guard. Frightening.

Back