• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary - does this price sound reasonable?

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking at aviary panels for a new bunny palace and have gone boss-eyed from looking at so many sites. :shock: I'm also a bit wary of buying something so substantial online as you can't see before you buy and would hate for it to be really poor quality & a waste of money.

I've found somewhere locally that will make me an aviary for £240. It's 9x6x6, with a 1.5"x1.5" timber frame and 16 gauge 1"x1" wire. Does that sound like a good deal?

He will do the same size aviary, but with 1"x0.5" 19g wire and a thinner timber frame for £186 but I would rather pay the extra to get the better wire and timber. I know I could probably make one for cheaper but dh would struggle just with bolting these panels together I think, never mind making one from scratch. :lol::lol:

I've been looking at aviaries recently too! :wave:

I personally would prefer smaller mesh than 1'' x 1'' - I'm pretty sure a rat/weasel/stoat could easily squeeze through that size.

Price wise - it sounds about right - and even reasonably cheap if it includes delivery :D

I've been looking at aviaries recently too! :wave:

Are you dizzy from looking as well? :lol::lol:

I'm not sure whether it includes delivery - I half fainted when he quoted me £240 for the 16g as I expected to pay that much for 19g. If delivery is quite dear, I could always get dh to pick it up in his work van anyway as it's only 10 mins away. :)

I wondered about the wire. I know we definitely have foxes, so that's why I wanted 16g. I've just tried to google to see what size gap a stoat/weasel could fit in & one site said I should use 1/4 inch square mesh. Another forum said that a weasel/stoat has squeezed through 1"x0.5" mesh on her aviary so I'm not sure what to do now. :?:?

Yep...definitely dizzy :lol:

Unfortunately the only suppliers local to me were horrendously expensive (c. £300 for a 9' x 6') so it looks like I'm going to have to pay for delivery instead. The upside of this is that delivery will be the same whatever I order, so I'm buying 2 aviaries instead!

Yep...definitely dizzy :lol:

Unfortunately the only suppliers local to me were horrendously expensive (c. £300 for a 9' x 6') so it looks like I'm going to have to pay for delivery instead. The upside of this is that delivery will be the same whatever I order, so I'm buying 2 aviaries instead!

£300! :shock::shock: Have you found anywhere online yet to order from? What size and gauge mesh are you going for? I'm going to ask about slightly smaller 16g mesh but 1/4 inch is going to be ridiculouly small and quite dark I would have thought so I don't want to go that small. :? :?

Back