• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits with cats

JenJen

New Kit
Hi there :wave:

I really hope someone can help me... i have a rescue cat who has been severely mistreated and is extremely nervous.

I have one rabbit who i've had for 3 years and he and the cat get on great. I've just got a new female rabbit. Luckily she and my other rabbit have bonded really quickly but she chases my cat.

It might just be she is trying to play with him/get to know him, but she keeps running up to him, he runs away, then she chases him to the bedroom where he jumps on the bed. it's quite a high bed so she hasn't jumped up there yet!

the other morning i was woken up by hissing. She had backed my cat in to a corner in the bathroom and he was just hissing at her.

He is actually starting to lose weight because he's eating less because he is scared to go in to the front room where his food is. I don't know whether i should move his food to the bedroom, or whether that will just reinforce his fears that there is something to be scared of.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem, or any ideas?

Thanks
Jen xx

My cat Murphy is ascared of my British Giant Koda and runs and hides all the time. Koda does tend to chase him a bit but I try to keep them apart or supervise them. It's difficult with regards to food as you don't want to re-inforce the fear but he also needs to eat. I'm not sure what to say really.

Mine not only chase our 6 cats they wee in their beds and steal their food :lol::lol:

I would definately move the food, he can't be left to loose weight

Is there a room that you could put a baby gate up at so the cat can get away from the rabbit if it wants to? The cat needs somewhere it can feel safe to eat and use it's tray. I think the rabbit just wants to play but needs to learn some boundaries - which the cat will teach it so you'll need to keep a close eye on them. I personally wouldn't take the risk of leaving them unattended now.

Is there a room that you could put a baby gate up at so the cat can get away from the rabbit if it wants to? The cat needs somewhere it can feel safe to eat and use it's tray. I think the rabbit just wants to play but needs to learn some boundaries - which the cat will teach it so you'll need to keep a close eye on them. I personally wouldn't take the risk of leaving them unattended now.

I agree a room just for the cat will help him feel safer and probably over time they will learn to live side by side. :wave:

Back