• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan has pasturella

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I found Dylan last night unable to breathe properly, with thick white discharge coming from her nose :( Shes a lot better this morning, though her breathings still quite raspy. Looks like its going to be even harder to rehome her than i thought, Not really sure what im going to do - Poor girl X

Shes seen a vet, Was really impressed with her :) I know pasturella is contagious but is it environment as well as actual contact with the infected bun? Absolutely no idea what i'll do if it is, as my garden is just not big enough to keep them seperate unless Dylan never comes out of the little hutch - which really isnt an option :?

We have a gorgeous bun with Pastuerella who comes here. We keep it in isolation and owner brings it's own hutch. It cant have anything other than shredded paper for bedding, minimal hay, even if dust extracted as it sets it off for him and has antibiotics daily. You would never know there was anything wrong with it if it wasnt for this and he lives life to the full. You just have to be extra careful with hygiene and contact with other buns.

We have a gorgeous bun with Pastuerella who comes here. We keep it in isolation and owner brings it's own hutch. It cant have anything other than shredded paper for bedding, minimal hay, even if dust extracted as it sets it off for him and has antibiotics daily. You would never know there was anything wrong with it if it wasnt for this and he lives life to the full. You just have to be extra careful with hygiene and contact with other buns.

Thanks for that Lynne, She said the stress of being loose then ending up somewhere new is likely to be whats caused it. I have had dealings with pasteurella before, but with Charlie it seemed a lot stronger strain of it & he had pneumonia too from it :( She doesnt obviously mix with Rhia, but the only way I manage them both is to have Dyl in the run & Rhi free range in the garden - Im quite stressed as I just dont have the time for this, and am completely at a loss of what to do reguarding space and stuff?!! :shock: I heard on the grapevine that my Dad has put an offer in on a house in the town we live in, if its true then it could be my saving grace as I can move Dylan there poss inside & he can look after her for me. Heres hoping! :?

This is him Becki
HHPicklesmall.jpg

Dont quote me on this but I understood the only risk of infection was if one rabbit bit another, it's spread a bit like HIV so has to be through bodily fluids or ingestion. E.g, if they are sharing the same grass exercise area there MAY be a risk of infection, whereas if the run is on concrete it can be disinfected and risks reduced.

This is him Becki
HHPicklesmall.jpg

Dont quote me on this but I understood the only risk of infection was if one rabbit bit another, it's spread a bit like HIV so has to be through bodily fluids or ingestion. E.g, if they are sharing the same grass exercise area there MAY be a risk of infection, whereas if the run is on concrete it can be disinfected and risks reduced.

The most common way it's spread is in the womb, but it can also be spread through snot...usually rabbit-to-rabbit contact, but snot can also be spread through sneezing

Back