• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

guinea pig housing

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, i know this is a bit off topic as its for guinea pigs not rabbits, but my friend wants to upgrade her guinea pig housing from a 3ftx1ft indoor cage to a hutch and run style thing to go outside in the spring. i looked on the RSPCA website but it just says "large accomodation" - is there a recommended minimum? can anyone suggest a good supplier? thanks

As usual it's different everywhere but I know some places where the minimum would be 4ft hutch with a 4ft x 4ft run.

Piggies love space too so the bigger the better! minimum is 4ft for two pigs but i think they should have bigger than that. 5ft or 6ft would be great + access to a run.:)

Actually my piggies are lazy *******, much prefering to lie down. Unless of course they are scrambling for the last piece of broccoli!

How many piggies has she got?

two boars, they are brothers, about 2 years old i think. a bit tubby (their "daddy" is a sucker for their squeaks! :roll:) and nails overgrow a lot, so i think some running around outside would help with both!

mum has a pair of piggies, and she has a 5ft x 2ft hutch for them, and they have access to a run on slabs :) I think this is ideal, especially with 2 boars... the more space, the better :)

I know at our rspca branch, the minimum hutch size for 2 pigs is 5ftx2ftx2ft :)

Hope this helps xXx

My 4 live in a 6ftx2ft hutch with attatched 6.5ftx3ft run. I got it from HappyHutch if she wants to see it online. It's a nice size but i think i'm going to extend the run as they love playing in their tunnels and jumping ontop of things. They're only young though.

thanks guys for the advice - i'll pass it on. i figured it might be a bit less than rabbits, but still more than the 3ft x 1ft they are in now :roll:
The comments about pairs of boars - they are about 2 years old and unneutered - should she expect trouble? why do they need more space?

thanks guys for the advice - i'll pass it on. i figured it might be a bit less than rabbits, but still more than the 3ft x 1ft they are in now :roll:
The comments about pairs of boars - they are about 2 years old and unneutered - should she expect trouble? why do they need more space?

I have 4 boars and i have alot of scuffles, so she can expect a few.
Boars need more space otherwise they will fight over it.

Back