• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Waste is not garden Waste apparanetly

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
absolutely fuming.
put my green bin out today with leaves, grass, hay. woodshavings rabbit poop and wee.
There was a piece of palstic on top - that was scooped up with leaves - the bin man took that out - threw it on floor and then left the erst saying it was contaminated. Been on phone to council who say that the green bin is only for grass and leaves!!! WTF???? :censored::censored:
I have to now empty the bin (god knows how cos its bigger than me) into littel carrier bags (as I have no bin bags) and put out for a special collection!!!!!
Absolutely fuming - this is what I pay council tax for??
What do you do with yours?

Mine all go's in the general waste, ie a brown bin :?

I think you should write a letter to your council. Rabbit waste is perfectly safe and not a hazard. It's the same for all vegetarian animals. It's only meat eating animal waste that would be a problem. If they did a little research they would probably agree that rabbit waste can be added to the rest of the compostable waste.

I had a very similar experience last year - apparently the problem (at least where I am) is that the council don't actually compost the waste, but rather they chop it up into really small pieces and sell it as soil improver, so it has to be green waste only and not hay or straw :?

The bunny poo and wee is classed as brown waste. It's an insurance thing as to why most councils don't take it.

We have black bins for general waste, Red bins for card & plastic, brown bins for "organic" waste (vege scraps, leaves, plants etc...), blue boxes for paper and dark green boxes for glass and tins.

Our council don't take ours away either. We chuck ours over the back fence and let it compost down.
We used to take it to the tip when I lived at my Mum's, and Mandy at the rescue has to do that :(

My green bin is only for paper, tins and plastic - no garden waste, no aluminium foil

I think this recycling initiative is a non-sense as each council implements its own policies, and there are few places where true recycling takes place

I read that a lot of plastic ends up in landfill in india, and recently the market for recycled paper collapsed, so its sitting in huge bales on some private land, the cost being charged to council tax payers

It's like reclycling energy saving light bulbs. We can't put them in in any of our bins because of the chemicals inside them, yet my local council don't provide a service to dispose of them :censored:

It is an odd one, as we cant put ours out in the garden waste bin, but if we take it to the tip we are told to put it in the garden waste skip:?:roll:

Hi have a grey bin for waste and a green bin for 'garden waste'
they couldnst see the poop as it was full of leaves and shaving on top
its ok from now on ill throw it all in grey bin!!!!

My green bin is only for paper, tins and plastic - no garden waste, no aluminium foil

I think this recycling initiative is a non-sense as each council implements its own policies, and there are few places where true recycling takes place

I read that a lot of plastic ends up in landfill in india, and recently the market for recycled paper collapsed, so its sitting in huge bales on some private land, the cost being charged to council tax payers

I have a compost bin for my bunny waste. Newspaper goes in the recycling bag unless it's covered in wee.

Its absolutely ridiculous isn't it. I used to used the compost bin but when you have a fair few hutches to clean, that soon gets filled up. Another ridiculous thing is, we can't even put fruit and veg waste in the green bin either.
In Bedfordshire, my mum has a little brown kitchen box for food scraps. They collect that weekely.
I think they should start worrying about collecting bins on a weekly basis rather than whether a bit of rabbit poop or hay is in green bin.

Yep i take all our bunny poo to the tip and i asked once if i could put it in the green garden waste bin and they said no :roll:

We don't even have any facilities for recycling here - I'm in an apartment block.:(

I've asked the caretaker about it and there aren't going to be any provided - but they don't like me putting bunny waste into the normal bins (we have a 'bin room' on each floor that gets emptied every day), so I have to trek to the offices nearby to throw it away there.

My poor balcony is full of boxes that I've had to buy to keep all my recycling in, and then I have to get it all to the other side of town to recycle it myself.

We don't have separate garden waste collection, but all the general waste goes through a processing plant that separates out metal etc, and puts the rest into a biomass generator that powers the mill that separates the waste. (or something like that - I can't remember the details now)

There might be a problem with bunny waste as woodshavings take ages to breakdown - we used to try to compost them at my parents house from my childhood bunny, and they were still recognisably woodshavings a year later when we were spreading the compost!:shock:

Am i the only one then that is allowed to have bunny waste in their green bin then? thats all that is in there, as we dont do any gardening (student tenants) so its blatantly obviously full of straw, hay, newspaper soaked in wee and rabbit droppings, but its always emptied and i've never had a problem with it. Just goes to show that councils are totally inconsistent!! :roll:

We are having terrible trouble with getting rid of our waste now so much so that we may have to reduce the number of bunnies we take in :( It can't go in garden waste and they wont except it down the tip :roll: the only place we are allowed to put it is in the normal black bin which is emptied once a fortnight but with 10 bags at least a week that is pointless.
We did manage to get rid of a lot through free cycle to allotment people but this time of year no-one is interested

:shock: i always put mine in the green bin. Is it different rules for different areas?.
x

me too :shock: i'm dreading being told i cant. when they first gave us wheelie bins here I asked for an extra green bin cos i have a few bunnies and they gave it to me :?

Back